Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image-19105050.jpg

I decided to turn some rattles for some friends that are expecting. Turned the bigger one first then refined the next one with my
Wife's feedback. They were fun to make an ill probably stockpile a
Few for future gifts.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EastexToolJunky said:
I decided to turn some rattles for some friends that are expecting. Turned the bigger one first then refined the next one with my
Wife's feedback. They were fun to make an ill probably stockpile a
Few for future gifts.
Would you be willing to do a step by step (for me & fellow idiots) bud thread on these? I'd love to make some.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EastexToolJunky said:
Thanks. I'll take step by step pics on my next one to show my process.
Thank you sir!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first part of this is the same as doing a lidded box. The cool thing is you don't have to worry too much about the inside finish. U just can't have tear out and fuzz that will muffle the beans hitting the inside of the rattle.

image-667856308.jpg

I start with a 2x2x6 piece of cherry between centers.

image-1280301012.jpg

Next round your cylinder and put a tenon on each end for your chuck. I use a thin parting tool to part most of the way through. I do this about 1 1/2 inches from the end. Take it off and separate the top and bottom.

image-695327542.jpg

I turn the cap first because it is easier to fit this to the body than the other way around. I use a sharp detail gouge to cut a rim in the cap. This will fit to the tenon you will cut on the main body of the rattle. Then I hollow a hemisphere into the cap piece. No need to go very deep here. Just keep it round and clean so the rattle is not muffled.

image-3537964234.jpg

Here is the body. Fit your tenon for the cap first and make sure it's pretty snug. Them hollow out about 2" deep with a hemisphere bottom. I use a round carbide cutter for this since its such a small opening.

image-3635522312.jpg

Here is the cap fitted to the body. Make sure you mark on the outside where your cavities end so u don't cut into the rattle chamber and ruin your work. I will put some dried beans in the chamber and glue it up tonight. I'll post my shaping pics later this evening.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
image-799501641.jpg

I put it back on the lathe and turn the top round. Leave a good sized nub for stability.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
image-3564239614.jpg

I use my line marking the bottom of the cavity then use a detail gouge to cut a rounded v. Almost like two spheres Joined together. Round the side for the rattle body to match the top.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
image-1012730318.jpg

I then turn the bottom of the handle. I leave it big so it's not a choking hazard. Then use an ogee to narrow the handle so a little hand can grip it.

image-1779660064.jpg

image-3568212142.jpg

I burn some lines to help hide my glue joint then sand to 600. I use mahoney's oil and burnish it in on the lathe.

image-807085285.jpg

Part it off and use a belt sander to get rid of the nubs. A little hand sanding on the ends and another rub with oil and...

image-2782773085.jpg

Ta da. I used lentils in this one which made for a softer rattle sound.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the write up. A few more questions:

- what is approx depth of each half of the rattle inside?

- what is approx finished dimensions of:
-- rattle section length
-- rattle section width
-- handle length
-- handle width at wide & skinny portion
-- what is "best" rattle & how many

Thanks again!!!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EastexToolJunky said:
Get u those measurements in a bit.
No hurry bud!!! I'm watching NASCRAP so I don't need right away...LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5" long 1 5/8" wide rattle is 2 1/4" handle is 2 3/4". Narrow part of handle is about 1/2".

I've tried dried pinto beans, rice, and lentils. They each sound a little different. I add a little at a time until I get the sound I want. Sorry I didn't count them.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EastexToolJunky said:
5" long 1 5/8" wide rattle is 2 1/4" handle is 2 3/4". Narrow part of handle is about 1/2".

I've tried dried pinto beans, rice, and lentils. They each sound a little different. I add a little at a time until I get the sound I want. Sorry I didn't count them.
Thank you very much for taking the time to get these specs. I greatly appreciate it. While I don't have a reason to make one of these at the moment, it seems like a fun project.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Very nice and thanks for being so detailed in your design process. I'm using some of your ideas to make one for my niece on the way. I just wish I'd have seen this when my boys were babies

1 - 17 of 17 Posts