Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer to this question but, is using spalted wood a bad idea when making rattles or any other toy meant to be kid friendly?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I figured I would just post the picture of my "practice" rattle. While I was turning the piece is when I realized, "Hey spalted wood and babies is probably not a good idea!"

Oh well, at least I got some practice in. Finish was a homemade solution of beeswax and mineral oil.
2013-09-07 10.06.14.jpg

·
Banned
615 Posts
Turn another one identical to it and now you have those music instrument things. I can't remember the name? Someone help me out here?

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Banned
615 Posts
Turn another one identical to it and now you have those music instrument things. I can't remember the name? Someone help me out here?

~Stumpy Nubs
MARACAS! lol

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
763 Posts
I welcome anybody to correct me on this but in all the reading I've done (allergies aside) I haven't found any actual evidence of spalted wood causing any more health problems than clear wood, aside from the occasional folk tale of mushrooms growing in someone's lung. We all know wood dust is a hazard, spalted or not. I don't hesitate to use spalted wood for salad bowls. I just don't see how a rogue oil soaked spore which is specifically designed to live on wood could be any more hazardous than all the spores we encounter all day, every day in our normal environment. Admittedly the lung mushroom thing still nudges me toward being a little more careful about breathing dust from spalted wood, but I really am not sure there is a scientific basis for it.

All that being said, infants may not be the best test subjects but I'd chew on that rattle without hesitation if that was my thing.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I haven't used spalted wood before so I can't say first hand. But I think I read somewhere it's more brittle and prone to tear out. So another concern is if the infant has a tooth or two, it could potentially break up in his/her mouth?

~Stumpy Nubs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts