Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to setting up the RAS that I bought off craigslist back in the summer.

I haven't used it for anything specific yet, but I put the new blade on and tried out a few cuts.

I think I am going to be very happy with it. Now to start shopping around for a dado set.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
B & D was never considered a good radial arm saw. If you got it for a good price and you're happy with it that's all that counts.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It may not be the top of the line saw......but properly set up it should do you just fine!

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i got what i consider to be a fair deal for it. it seems plenty solid enough for my purposes and there is essentially no play in the movement mechanism. like the rest of my crap, i don't pay alot for stuff and i know that get what i pay for!

ryan, if you saw the other thread i started earlier today about the blow out of the cutoff valve in my garage, then the water on the table will make more sense ... :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Aw man, that sucks! Water on the MDF? That's going to have to be a total replacement. I guess with those saws you replace the top every so often anyway? I don't know much about them but that looks like a pretty good saw regardless of if it was never considered so or not.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Aw man, that sucks! Water on the MDF? That's going to have to be a total replacement. I guess with those saws you replace the top every so often anyway? I don't know much about them but that looks like a pretty good saw regardless of if it was never considered so or not.
Many RAS users put 1/8 or 1/4" sacrificial tops on their RAS tables and replace the sacrificial top as needed. This keeps the original, aligned top in like new condition. My mid 60s vintage c-man RAS is my go to CC saw. I humbly suggest your saws OM be reviewed for set up instructions and that they be followed, in order, exactly as presented in the OM. Properly aligning a RAS can be challenging at best and frustrating at worst.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I finally got around to setting up the RAS that I bought off craigslist back in the summer.

I haven't used it for anything specific yet, but I put the new blade on and tried out a few cuts.

I think I am going to be very happy with it. Now to start shopping around for a dado set.
That saw looks like it is in mint condition!

I had one of those and I used it from 1974 until 2004 and my son is still using the saw. I used it while building my garage in the UP of Michigan for cutting 1/4 log siding, I bought a craftsman 10" in 1996 and still use it. As I remember B & D it had an odd blade size. Never use a dado on the saw. I bought the saw from J C Penney's in Scranton, PA

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a new top on it ...

ForumRunner_20140126_171954.jpg

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That saw looks like it is in mint condition!

I had one of those and I used it from 1974 until 2004 and my son is still using the saw. I used it while building my garage in the UP of Michigan for cutting 1/4 log siding, I bought a craftsman 10" in 1996 and still use it. As I remember B & D it had an odd blade size. Never use a dado on the saw. I bought the saw from J C Penney's in Scranton, PA
It takes an 8" blade. Are you saying you never put a dado on the saw, or that I should never put one on it?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I never put one on mine, but dado blades have a tendency to climb on to the work piece. With my Craftsman I have an adjustable clutch which regulates the saw movement (it has 3 speeds and/or releases) which holds the saw back. I know the bearing on the B & D have more play, so I guess I am saying you can use on but use extreme caution while doing so, just my .02 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts