Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a guy locally selling one of these for $75. I have always wanted a RAS, but space and funds are limited. This seems to fit both of those constraints. I could probably set it up in such a way that I could roll it out onto the driveway when I need it, and have it on a shelf when not.

What do you think? Are they generally good units?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have no experience with one of these so I'll go with C-Man's opinion. The cut is limited to 2-7/8", which is actually more than I thought for a 7-1/4" blade (edit: the manual says it takes an 8" blade, which explains that). Here's a link to a manual: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=646

It looks like a fairly light-duty machine. As with any RAS, I'd avoid ripping on it for safety concerns.

Bill

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. it would be primarily for crosscuts on wider stuff than my 10 miter saw can handle, and dados. for ripping, i'd still be much more likely to go to the table saw.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've only seen them, and never used one. To me, they aren't worth having, but I'm comparing them to the old cast iron arm Dewalts. More of a carpentry tool than a woodworking tool.....but that's only my opinion, and you what they say about those :laughing:. Anyway, they show up often around me, but usually for about $50. I would venture to say most of them are unsold at that price since they seem to be on whatever ad listing for quite a while. Should you decide to get it, I would think a lower price would be easy; doubtful anyone is beating a path to his house for it. Just a guess ( you can check the manual) but I'd bet you won't be doing very wide dadoes with it.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll ask him if he'd be willing to take $50 for it.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said that he would not go below $75 for it, primarily because he claims to have replaced the brushes and put a new platform on it and cleaned it up. I picked it up today. There is essentially no side to side play in it, so I am thinking it will do what I want it to do.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The only thing that counts is whether you are happy with it, and it sounds like you are! Congrats....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had a Model 7700 since 1975.
It's done anything I've asked of it.

I bought this RAS before I got a table saw. Initially, I ripped a lot of paneling with no problem.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a Model 7700 since 1975.
It's done anything I've asked of it.

I bought this RAS before I got a table saw. Initially, I ripped a lot of paneling with no problem.
Hey Soltc, can it take a 8 1/2" blade? I know it says it is for 8" blades ... this saw needs a new blade, and the closest to that size my local HW store carries is 8 1/2". I know I can order one from amazon or somewhere, but if an 8 1/2" fits, then I might just grab the local one.

·
7,222 Posts
Hey Soltc, can it take a 8 1/2" blade? I know it says it is for 8" blades ... this saw needs a new blade, and the closest to that size my local HW store carries is 8 1/2". I know I can order one from amazon or somewhere, but if an 8 1/2" fits, then I might just grab the local one.
Chris you have the saw, you should be able to determine if there is enough clearance.

Cut a piece of cardboard to 8 1/2in dia and mount it on the saw and see if it contacts anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts