Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have trouble here with dull saw blades, or achieving chip-free cuts?

I found this article today full of tips from manufacturers.

Techniques included sharpening as soon as blade deterioration is visible, and consistently performing preventative blade maintenance. Do you have any tips or secrets about blade maintenance besides what is included in this article to share?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have trouble here with dull saw blades, or achieving chip-free cuts?

I had a friend who had trouble with a dull blade. He was a machinist/engineer with Bendix. Now and then he would have to use the table saw at work. He said he always removed the blade and sharpened it before using the saw. He also told me the one time he didn't, he cut a finger off! Thats trouble with a dull blade!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Mike - I didn't read thru the article, so this may be redundant but keeping the blades clean is one of the most effective things you can do to maintain a good cutting edge on a blade. Many blades get sent for sharpening that just need to be cleaned. Nearly any household degreaser spray works well.

Proper storage to prevent damage to the teeth is important too.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Mike - I didn't read thru the article, so this may be redundant but keeping the blades clean is one of the most effective things you can do to maintain a good cutting edge on a blade. Many blades get sent for sharpening that just need to be cleaned. Nearly any household degreaser spray works well.

Proper storage to prevent damage to the teeth is important too.
I totally agree on the storage. Carbide cuts like theres no tomorrow, but, chips very easy, when contacting metal.
I once bought a stacked dado set, and it came in a package with blades touching each other, and 3 of the chipper blades had chipped carbide teeth. Sent it back and got a brand (Dewalt) that had a fitted case, that totally prevented any tooth contact.

I also knew some inexperienced woodworker, who pried a stuck router bit out of a collet and chipped the carbide. I'm not going to tel who it was!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts