Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Happened to see a sign for auction, and decided to stop and look. Saw some interesting things, so I grabbed a number and hung out for a Bit. Got this lot for $10.
I was mainly after the bailey #5 plane and some carving chisels. The rest was with the lot.
I also got the old wood clamp and the saw for $2
All in all it was good.

image-2455946940.jpg

image-2959224680.jpg

image-3349442833.jpg

image-2141244021.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
You did very well Dominick. Excellent score. :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need help with restoring the No. 5. Looks like the blade has been sharpened a lot.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave.
How can you tell it's been sharpened a lot?
Do you have a #5?
I still haven't done my #4 and #6 yet. Lol

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks Dave.
How can you tell it's been sharpened a lot?
Do you have a #5?
I have a No. 5 in my collection of user hand planes. I have my oldest No. 5 restore almost finished, and another in the queue. I will be mailing out the most recently completed No. 5 restore tomorrow.

A full length blade should cover the lateral adjustment lever. In your picture I can see about 1/2 - 1in of the lateral adjustment lever, which infers the blade has lost some length with sharpening.

It can still be used, but the short tempered steel inlay is long gone, so it will dull faster than a full length blade.

Looks like you are getting planes a lot easier than you can find time to restore. LOL.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok that's good to know. The handle is broken as well. That's gonna have to be replaced. I've got 3 to restore now. Maybe I should do a soak today.
I do have some time, but I'm pretty exhausted from yesterday's races. Lol

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TobyC said:
Impressive box of crap! What's that thing with the rings and the lead weight?

Toby
Some of its crap.
That is an old iron scale.

·
7,222 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate that link Dave. You did a great job on yours. Not sure mine would look that nice.
I was thinking about doing electrolysis on all three, but that would require a lot of wiring for the 3 soles and all the other parts. To many parts dangling I'm my bin.

I also know you've had good results from oxalic acid. So I think I'd like to try that this time.
My question to you is, where do I find it? And can I make a bath for all the parts to soak in all at once?
If I can make a bath for all without wiring all the parts up, then oxalic acid might be the way to go for this.
Let me know.
Thanks.

·
7,222 Posts
I also know you've had good results from oxalic acid. So I think I'd like to try that this time.
My question to you is, where do I find it? And can I make a bath for all the parts to soak in all at once?
If I can make a bath for all without wiring all the parts up, then oxalic acid might be the way to go for this.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Oxalic acid is also called Wood Bleach. Should be in local hardware stores, big box stores, in with the wood finishing products - not laundry.

I mix up 2 tablespoons per gallon, but you can go stronger if you like.

Make as many gallons as needed for the container to hold all the parts. Try to have the parts not touching so all surface is exposed.

Clean off dirt and grime first, since the oxalic acid is not a strong acid and needs the rust to be exposed.

Warm temperatures help so let the sun do the work for you.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Let me know how well that receiver bath turns out. I was going to do the same thing one of these days.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ryan50hrl said:
Let me know how well that receiver bath turns out. I was going to do the same thing one of these days.
I've done this before with good results.
Ill let it cook over night and check in the morning.
Ill post pics when done.

Can I use warm or hot water Dave?
Sorry for the newbie questions.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Gilgaron.
I'm thinking ill just make a new one from walnut.
Yours looks good though.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ryan50hrl said:
Here's the receiver Ryan.
I let it cook over night, but my bath didn't seem as dirty as I thought. Maybe the ball being stainless had something to do with it, or I was off on my baking soda mixture. Who knows?
Here it is after I used a grinder on it a bit to clean it up. Lots of pitting on it.
Ill slap some paint and it will be good for a little longer I hope.

image-3074542596.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts