Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chicago area. With limited woodworking skills used for rudimentary home improvements. Owner of an old Sears RAS which only has limited use and then only for cross cuts. Mostly because since getting this RAS, years ago, there has been sloppiness or play in the motor mount to the rail. I am fairly certain that the rail aka arm carriage support is the issue. I have looked at some posting and replacing the rail was only mentioned once. Which leads me to question if this is the likely culprit? If so why don't I hear more about replacing this part? Perhaps this model had a limited run, this is not a model with the adjustable bearings so I can't alter the bearings to fit the rail. Has anyone else had this problem and is replacing the arm carriage support the issue? I have broken down the arm and have isolated sloppiness to the interplay between the yoke mount and the rail. Perhaps I am answering my own question but thought I'd post it before ordering a $50 part. Thanks, hope I was clear and concise.

I have now added a diagram, it shows rollers different than the ones mentioned in this thread in that they are not adjustable. (I wish they were)

They are parts #2 and #35 there are 2 of each symmetrically located around the horizontal motor bolt #33. #2 is called a Ball Bearing .3150 I.D. and #35 Carriage Bearing. The model # of my Sears RAS is 113.198111. It doesn't seem to get as much coverage on the forums cause this RAS rail/slide doesn't look like the others.

Just looking for help, and thanks for all the replies so far.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
it's adjustable

The carriage slides along the rails on 4 "V" groove bearings. The 2 on the right are on fixed studs, the 2 on left are on adjustable cams. You can adjust the play out of the carriage by turning the cams and relocking the nuts which secure them. After this is done check to see if the blade is traveling parallel to the rails using a framing square against the fence and the blade. One of the cams may need to be tweaked to get it right.

Reactions: Gardenieara

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

Reactions: Gardenieara

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have upgraded to windows 8 and lost my scanning capability on my printer, I could show the diagram of the yoke and rail it is not the type with the adjusting wheel bearings. I will try to get it scanned but may take some time.

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
it's not like this?

I have upgraded to windows 8 and lost my scanning capability on my printer, I could show the diagram of the yoke and rail it is not the type with the adjusting wheel bearings. I will try to get it scanned but may take some time.
I can't imagine any other sliding carriage system used on the older Craftsman RAS other than this:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That picture is awesome, my camera has been "borrowed" but I did post a diagram. The diagram, shows rollers different than the ones in your photograph in that they are not adjustable. (I wish they were)

They are parts #2 and #35 there are 2 of each symmetrically located around the horizontal motor bolt #33. #2 is called a Ball Bearing .3150 I.D. and #35 Carriage Bearing. The model # of my Sears RAS is 113.198111. It doesn't seem to get as much coverage on the forums cause this RAS rail/slide doesn't look like the others.

Thanks to all for their very informative replies.
The method of adjustment in your picture seems very sound especially considering my current problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RAS with pictures of yoke and arm showing different configuration than pictures above

A picture tells a thousand words.
Ok here it is, I am real close to ordering the arm but am a cautious sort.
Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you think I should order the arm. Only $50 but it is something I'd apply to a new Table Saw if the play in the arm is not remedied.
Note: once mounted the yoke is in the arm, there is very discernible movement, it is not snug.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
The "arm" is just a stamped channel ....

Therein lies the problem, I think. :blink: From this photo it looks as if the channel has been sprung inward, no longer being 90 degrees at the corners. It could just be the photo, but maybe not. Lay it down on a flat surface and bring a known square up to the edges and see if they are 90 degrees to the surface. Depending on where the rollers ride this could make a difference. If you are all "out of adjustment travel" in your roller shafts this may be the issue, I donno? If flattening out the channel by flipping it over and applying weight or force ( block of wood struck by a heavy hammer) and spreading out the wings/edges will tighten it up, it's worth a try. Let us know.... :yes:

That design seem to have a "weak" point, since the center rail is the only control for lateral play. The way it seems to work is that when the 2 center rollers are forced up against the rail, it should tighten up the play. In the other carriages there are 4 rollers on the sides to control bothe vertical and lateral movement. There should be more lateral control in my opinion, but that means a different design or a modification. Unless I'm missing something..... I donno?

Lastly, are the center rollers are adjusted all the way up to the end of their adjustment capability?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same thoughts here, I will post updates.

Therein lies the problem, I think. :blink: From this photo it looks as if the channel has been sprung inward, no longer being 90 degrees at the corners. It could just be the photo, but maybe not. Lay it down on a flat surface and bring a known square up to the edges and see if they are 90 degrees to the surface. Depending on where the rollers ride this could make a difference. If you are all "out of adjustment travel" in your roller shafts this may be the issue, I donno? If flattening out the channel by flipping it over and applying weight or force ( block of wood struck by a heavy hammer) and spreading out the wings/edges will tighten it up, it's worth a try. Let us know.... :yes:

That design seem to have a "weak" point, since the center rail is the only control for lateral play. The way it seems to work is that when the 2 center rollers are forced up against the rail, it should tighten up the play. In the other carriages there are 4 rollers on the sides to control bothe vertical and lateral movement. There should be more lateral control in my opinion, but that means a different design or a modification. Unless I'm missing something..... I donno?

Lastly, are the center rollers are adjusted all the way up to the end of their adjustment capability?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your prompt response.

I don't believe I can adjust the center rollers, relatively certain. I did play with the idea of using washers as shims. My next course of action is to:
1. use very thin washers as shims on the side roller bearings to helps snug side travel and
2. perhaps using a board and hammer snug down the rail in the center, by repositioning the rail the center runs on. This adjustment may be the beginning of the end of the arm.
3. order a new rail arm which I have no problem with, I just want to be relatively certain it will remedy the sloppy play issue.

I hope I covered your suggestions/questions, and thanks again.

I will post update.

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
center roller adjustment?

Remove the nut off one of the rollers and then rotate the bolt. See if the rotation makes the roller rise or fall, if so there's your adjustment. It really should be adjustable! :yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Resolved

Yes it is adjustable and does make a difference. I put both front and back cam full up and there is no play. A little snug but I think I can work that out. I realize that you mentioned cam screws but hadn't seen them before so I didn't know what to look for, I did look. Thanks for your help I'll post pictures of the cam screw. :blush: Really, THANK YOU!!!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts