Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see how it would turn out. I might want to make kitchen cabinets one day and needed to see if I could. Plus, our utility sink in the laundry room had seen better days, so why not?

I'm hoping to finish it soon, so I thought I'd post some progress pics.

Table Wood Furniture Machine Plywood

Furniture Product Shelf Table Wood

Room Cabinetry Furniture Wood Door

Table Wood Furniture Wood stain Plywood

Cabinetry Room Property Furniture Wood

Room Wood Floor Material property Door

Just need to prime the case, attach the back, the paint and glaze.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'm still having trouble in the painting department. I just got me a HVLP gun and am trying to figure this out. I am spraying primer, checked the viscosity with the drip cup, but it still comes out somewhat lumpy. I think ithe spray nozzle I'm using is too big. Going to try the smallest size, but short of that, any idea what I could be doing wrong?

FYI: I am using Sherwin Williams Latex primer, added floetrol about 4:1 and then thinned with water until the drip cup drops to about 12 seconds or so.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very sharp - did you build the doors yourself or buy them? I'm doing doors now and am curious how others are tackling that subject.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built the doors. I bought a nice set of router bits:

http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/architectural-cabinet-doors.html

It was a hefty investment, but I plan to build out a custom kitchen in the next year or so, they should pay for themselves. The panel making bit, to be completely honest, scares the crap out of me, but does a beautiful job.

Even though I trim off most of the waste on my table saw, there's something about 3 to 4 inches of spinning death that gets the heart rate up!

But I just saw a similar cabinet, stock, selling for triple what I paid at Lowe's. And they have particle board. So, if you have the tools, DIY is the way to go.

Note, that for the panel bit, you will need a powerful router. I have the 3+ hp one from porter cable, and if you get too greedy, it slows down. Make sure you are able to reduce the rpms.

Good luck, its a good project and a great investment!

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Arlaghan said:

It was a hefty investment, but I plan to build out a custom kitchen in the next year or so, they should pay for themselves. The panel making bit, to be completely honest, scares the crap out of me, but does a beautiful job.

Even though I trim off most of the waste on my table saw, there's something about 3 to 4 inches of spinning death that gets the heart rate up!

But I just saw a similar cabinet, stock, selling for triple what I paid at Lowe's. And they have particle board. So, if you have the tools, DIY is the way to go.

Note, that for the panel bit, you will need a powerful router. I have the 3+ hp one from porter cable, and if you get too greedy, it slows down. Make sure you are able to reduce the rpms.

Excellent advise.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Amen to that - good investment, scary spinning doom though hehe. Your doors came out beautiful, well done!

I just snagged my first set of rail & stile bits for my shaper and built 8 doors. I went with beadboard center panels and they came out very sharp (I think). Doing diy built-ins all over the house is saving us an immense amount of money over time!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great design and construction. What wood did you use? It's just hard for me to identify the wood. it's very functional
and looks solid. Nice job.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Great job, you are right you did get a good set of cutters, are you using a router table or running free hand? I hope a router table, a bit that size can get dangerous real quick free hand, especially with a router that powerful.

I had a 3HP shaper running some cutters that were 6 inches or better, sounded like a jet warming up, got rid of that hog. I just don't like my fingers that close to something making that kind of racket.

One question, is there a reason you made your toe kick that way? Just curious.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Back in the last century when I started, there were no variable speed routers...just one speed. You learn to slow down your pass, and make incremental depth passes. The panel bit should be run in your router table.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Very nice job!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh I definitely have a table mounted router. There is no way I'd freehand this!!!

As for the toe-kick, the future kitchen my wife wants is inspired by this picture. I would make the curve for it as well, but since that isn't something I think is hard, I left it out for this test project. Our new kitchen is going in a house we will build after selling our current home, so I'm keeping my projects short. :)

Countertop Furniture Cabinetry Kitchen Room

1 - 20 of 21 Posts