Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to attach fairly wide (2" - 3") solid bands to a plywood shelf. Shelf will rest on support pins. As the bands themselves will rest on the pins, I want a pretty strong joint (although the shelf will only support lightweight electronics - DVD player, cable box, etc.).

Thinking tongue and groove - maybe this:
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tong...th-x-1-4-cutter-height-1-4-shank#product-tabs

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Need to attach fairly wide (2" - 3") solid bands to a plywood shelf. Shelf will rest on support pins. As the bands themselves will rest on the pins, I want a pretty strong joint (although the shelf will only support lightweight electronics - DVD player, cable box, etc.).

Thinking tongue and groove - maybe this:
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-tong...th-x-1-4-cutter-height-1-4-shank#product-tabs

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks.
Just glue and clamps will work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
cabinetman said:
Just glue and clamps will work.

+1

I wouldn't buy a special bit for it for sure, plenty of glue to saturate the end grain of the ply and plenty of clamps will make a clean strong joint. If you have a biscuit jointer you could use that, if only to help with alignment.

With that said the type of router bit posted is a good one to have in the shop, though Id save up and get a better brand. Rockler bits are ALWAYS the first ones to wear out in my shop.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with the suggestions above. in addition, you might consider building a jig to trim the hardwood edge-banding on a router table with a flush trim bit. I have built one of these jigs for myself and I use it all the time. It's a lot easier to cut your edge banding a little proud of the surface of the ply and then trim it with this jig, rather than sanding or scraping or trying to get the exact fit on the original cut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts