Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's something that I'm hoping there's some dumb little trick that makes this easier…

I've built my first entertainment center, (will post pics soon as I can), but it's come out fairly well. Birch plywood with Maple face frame. I got the doors on the sides and everything. Now, here's the catch… (pun intended).

I'm going to attach the magnetic catches on the top of the face frame. But I'm not sure how I'm going to easily get the screws into the back of the face frame as it's going to be a real pain to get pack there. I've already put the back on the cabinet. And just maybe I can get my big fat head a bit into the cabinet and still be able to see drill, but… there's just got to be an easier way.

This would be easier to describe with pics, which I'll try to get later. But basically I'm just trying to put the magnet on the door, (easy), and the strike plate hanging down from the face frame; with the back part of the strike plate installed on the back side of the face frame, which apparently requirers serious contortions to get the pilot holes drilled, unless there's a sneaky tip here.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
404 Posts
What type of magnet? Flat strike plate?
If I have to use magnets of that type( guessing) I install strike plate to door and magnet screwed up into FF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Inset door… like this…

I should probably take a pic of the plate as well. You can kind of see it and the magnet just below the right door. It's got an angle so it can hook on to the inside part of the rear of the face frame and then leave a strike plate hanging down. As mentioned, I can probably twist myself around a bit and get some screws in there, but… any time something seems difficult, I've found usually someone more experienced has an easier, "duh, you should have seen that" kind of way!

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I do what CNYWoods does - plate on the door and magnet on the frame. I use magnets from HD that would screw into the side... so I will predrill screw holes into a block of wood, glue the block onto the back of ff, and line things up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the flat narrow magnetic catch looks easier. That way I could just put plate on door and magnet on frame. Ah well, back to the store I suppose! (Unless I can just find some small piece of metal I can use lying around maybe.)

Thanks,
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts