Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build cabinets in my garage. I am using poplar for the face frames and particle board for the carcass. I am thinking of dadoing the face frames and gluing and clamping the face onto the carcass is this okay to do. I have tried to biscuit jointer, but that was a pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
face framing

I went to a wood working show aboute 8 to 10 years ago and bought a kreg jig (the demo sold me). After I got home I thought it would be one of those state fair typ things where it sits in a cabinet for years and years collecting dust, until I sell it on a garage sale. But it is a tool I have never regreted getting. When it comes to face framing it is nice. The only thing that is a draw back (if this is a proublem to you) is the inside of the cabinet looking out is pertty rough looking. Other than that it is simple and easy to do and works great. I pocket screwed the back of a cabint once and glued dowels in the pocket slots and sanded them down flush. Looked better than open pockets.Gluing the joints before scerewing them down helps also. hope this helps Saw Dust

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used the method you describe and it worked well. Particularly with lighter plywood or particle board because it adds some additional rigidity to the carcass.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Will the face frames be painted or are you gonna finish them?
If you are going to paint them glue and brad nails.
If you are going to finish then I would dado the back of the face frames glue and brad nail from the inside. This works well for me, but there are alot of options.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would suggest you reconsider the material choice

for your cabinets. MDF would be a better choice than particle board.

Ed

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can always attach the face frame by gluing and tacking with a brad of nails. That has worked for me in the past. No clamps in the way just tack it with some brads/nails and put it aside to dry.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you wanted a little extra security of the frames to the carcass you could consider dowelling them together. You would have a strong joint, and nothing showing. I would agree with edp. Particle board is not a very good structural material. It also swells rather badly if exposed to moisture.

Gerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts