Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be building a little floating table top/shelf, rectangular in shape (29" wide x 18.75" deep). It needs to be attached to drywall/thin metal studs. So far, my thoughts were to attach 2x4's to each corner of the wall for support. As far as attaching the 2x4's to the drywall (without the presence of wood studs) I was thinking of using the combination of liquid nails and long drywall screws. I would prefer to avoid liquid nails if possible, but want to ensure the shelf is sturdy. I also thought of just using L-brackets for the support using drywall anchors. Any other ideas as to how to attach a floating shelf with only drywall to attach it to? Are there drywall anchors or togglers long enough that would be able to attached the 2x4 to the drywall? Hopefully this explanation makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
You do not say what kind of weight this shelf will have to support? Is good looks of the final product a goal? Or do looks not matter. You say "each corner of the wall. How many corners are there?

There are dozens of products out there that will fasten a 2x4 to drywall. Why do you need a 2x4? Could you use a 1x2 as well? lots of questions. Need more information to provide good answers.

A sketch would be most helpful.

George

1 - 2 of 2 Posts