Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am allowed to ask for help here. I ask for assistance from someone who is willing to share some time on his belt saw. I need a 5' cherry board that is near 7/8" thick ripped lengthwise into thinner planks to use as 1/8 veneer. Is there anyone in the north Atlanta area that can be a pal to someone whose shop is not well enough equipped?

Thanks.

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,540 Posts
Im in the north Atlanta area but I dont trust my bandsaw to cut 1/8” veneer reliably. Theres a few woodworking clubs in the area, some that meet at Woodcraft, one that meets at Peachtree Woodworking. If you were to contact them you could find several with bandsaws set up good enough to serve your purposes as well as a good resource for learning your hobby.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m not familiar with your area but you can also see if there are any wood recyclers in the area. We have one locally here that years down ok’d barns to pull out the lumber, then they recycle it into useable stock. They offer milling services for reasonable prices so might be somewhere near you that does the same.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,301 Posts
I hope I am allowed to ask for help here. I ask for assistance from someone who is willing to share some time on his belt saw. I need a 5' cherry board that is near 7/8" thick ripped lengthwise into thinner planks to use as 1/8 veneer. Is there anyone in the north Atlanta area that can be a pal to someone whose shop is not well enough equipped?

Thanks.
Do you want 5" veneer or 7/8"? With the 5 you're looking at resawing ,but if all you need is the 7/8" the table saw, assuming you have a half decent one should do the trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you want 5" veneer or 7/8"? With the 5 you're looking at resawing ,but if all you need is the 7/8" the table saw, assuming you have a half decent one should do the trick.
I am looking for resawing the board to make some thinner strips (1/8" or so) from a 7/8" wide board. Thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
not so sure about that

I read you want to slice 1/8 inch off a 5" wide by (unspecified length) by 7/8" thick board to yield a piece 5 inches wide by some length by 1/8 thick.

if you want to yield a piece 7/8" wide by some length by 1/8" thick - that's different.

it's one of those "words matter" things....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not so sure about that

I read you want to slice 1/8 inch off a 5" wide by (unspecified length) by 7/8" thick board to yield a piece 5 inches wide by some length by 1/8 thick.

if you want to yield a piece 7/8" wide by some length by 1/8" thick - that's different.

it's one of those "words matter" things....
I apologize for all the miscommunication. The board is, right now :

1 piece: 7/8" thick x ~5" wide x ~4.5' long

I want:
4-5 pieces: 1/8" thick x ~5" wide x ~4.5' long.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You need to find someone with a well-tuned bandsaw. I really doubt you can get 5 pieces. Getting 4 pieces will require a fair amount of luck.

That luck will depend on the board - how perfectly straight and flat the board is. Both surfaces must be flat and parallel over the entire 4.5 foot length with no cupping, twisting, bowing, surface cracks or checks, etc. The wood type matters, too. If the wood is very hard with gnarly, twisty grain, you may lose a little bit as the blade tries to follow the grain.

That luck will also depend on the bandsaw. It must be perfectly turned with zero drift and no blade bowing during the cuts. The blade must be perfectly parallel to the fence so the top and bottom of the cut are exactly the same thickness. Blade type, thickness, and sharpness matter.

How much sanding (or planing) will be required to remove the saw marks? The middle boards will require blade marks removed from both sides.

If the board is perfect, then you are starting with 7/8 = 14/16ths inch. Getting four 1/8 inch boards subtracts 8/16ths and leaves 6/16ths. For myself, I figure a generous 1/16th inch kerf for my bandsaw. Three cuts at 1/16th per cut subtracts 3/16ths and leaves 3/16ths. Assuming the outside surfaces are flat and perfect, that leaves you with 3/16ths to sand the blade marks from six inside surfaces (1/32 each surface).

Getting four 1/8 inch boards from a 7/8 board would be pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts