Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I come to you for some advice. I need to build a high chair and the lady wants it to resemble an antique, she wants me to make it with Oregon Pine, no problem there, but the problem is, I have no idea what an antique style would be, as the picture she sent me as a guide is made with Brentwood Wicker, but she does not want wicker and the rest which is cane bentwood, well I cannot do that either. Does anyone have a pattern which they are willing to share? I need it to read in mm or cm instead of inches & feet, since we are on that system over here. I will appreciate any help anyone is willing to share. I have looked at almost every free patter website I can find. Being in South Africa makes it very difficult to be able to purchase plans, this is one of the reasons I asked for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried Googling "Stickley high chair" and a few came up. Some of them were made around 100 years ago, so they would definitely be antique in design. However, just because they are old does not mean your client will like it. There's just too many stiles and tastes out there to choose from.
Maybe you can show her a few pictures of chairs you can make, and let her decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I have since located a high chair with a picture only which she likes. My problem now, I need someone to assist me in figuring the timber measurements in mm or cm. I have the picture from an OLD book and she like it very much. I will be happy to send the picture should someone be willing to help me out. You can contact me at my regular addy [email protected] if such a person exists.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is the address to a programmers site. He is providing a free, downloadable, and highly useful measurement converter. It may take some time to convert each measurement in your plans from inches to mm, but if that's what need to be done.....

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/

I am in no way affiliated with the programmer except that I've been using this converter for a few years now. This thread is a few years old now, so this is probably coming much to late to be any good for this project.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Here is the address to a programmers site. He is providing a free, downloadable, and highly useful measurement converter. It may take some time to convert each measurement in your plans from inches to mm, but if that's what need to be done.....

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/

I am in no way affiliated with the programmer except that I've been using this converter for a few years now. This thread is a few years old now, so this is probably coming much to late to be any good for this project.

The thread is old, and the child is probably using a regular chair by now, but posting this conversion may help someone with the same interest. It's good to see that members are reading through older threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts