Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from Fred B. Long time lover of wood working projects. Low level projects, but none the less enjoy working with wood. What brings me to this forum is a invention/ design I came up with several years ago. It has to do with building projects that use 2 x 4 ‘s. Thru the years I’ve had to make storage shelves for my business. I frequently had to dismantle these shelves and try to repurpose the wood, namely the 2 x 4’s. So a process of trying to engineer a 2 x 4 that would be easily assembled and then reassemble became my goal. Now that I have figured out that board, I have come to a cross road. How to get this product to market. Over the past 3 or so years I have filed a provisional patent, made several projects, hired a marketing consultant. Still no further movements on getting my product to market. Lots of stop signs in this process. Money has to be the biggest hurtle. So I’m searching for that person who can get me over that hump. So here I am asking fellow wood workers for that key to fulfilling this dream to get this piggy to market. Not really looking for money, but a way to work with others to make this product available to fellow do it yourself forks. This product isn’t something that you see in todays home improvement centers. It is a engineered 2 x 4 that is assembled with out alterations. Like a erecto set. Take care all , Fred

· Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Target market: homeowners and businesses? Restaurants wouldn't use them. Shops might build their own?

I think you'd be better off designing some type of bracket and let people buy their own lumber.

I doubt you'll ever find a market for it.

Pics.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment. I didn’t give all that much info on the product. But the product would replicate a 2 x 4, but have a marketable difference. Light weight, no cutting, assorted sizes, etc. the board isn’t a two by four. It’s meant to be a alternative to someone who wants to build with a two by four, but doesn’t have the wherewithal to cut, measure, and nail. Again referring to the popular erecto set toy, where you have these pieces you us to build with. Yes someone could reproduce it , as with anything else. If you have the skills and tools. This is a product that would be sold as a kit To make shelving, carts, walls, structures, the list goes on. Secondly you can disassemble and reuse or store for another day. All the mass of a two by four is gone. A product for those who don’t have skills to build with traditional two by four products. I may be stumbling here with describing this product. It has a lot of flexibility when it comes to building. I have used the board to make nonconventional shelving configurations, which you can’t do with store bought shelving products. Have a good all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts