Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am looking for a carpenter/woodworker which is able to make an ash tree long pole.
Lenght: 3 meters
diameter end1: 4 cm
diameter end2: 3 cm
It should be a round conic section.
What I mean is that it should be gradually tapered from 4 cm at one end to 3 cm at the other end.

How much would it cost? I have no clue.
I just arrived in Atlanta and I need this for my training.
I don't know if I would be able to do this by myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey,
I am looking for a carpenter/woodworker which is able to make an ash tree long pole.
Lenght: 3 meters
diameter end1: 4 cm
diameter end2: 3 cm
It should be a round conic section.
What I mean is that it should be gradually tapered from 4 cm at one end to 3 cm at the other end.

How much would it cost? I have no clue.
I just arrived in Atlanta and I need this for my training.
I don't know if I would be able to do this by myself.

Thanks
Welcome Aboard!

Kinda small for pole vaulting... :)

Flag pole?

If I'm thinking right, it's about 9 feet long and tapers from 1 5/8" to 1 1/4" end to end... That would take a huge lathe... :) ... or some very fancy jointery! :)

Are you going to put a spear-point on the end of it... for fishing, etc.? :)

... for sizing huge fingers with rings? :)

I give up...

What are you "training" for?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm training Ving Tsun. It's something like Kung Fu.
Here you can see some pics of what I was talking about.
http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Buick-Yip-Single-Quan-Dim-Long-Pole-p/by13s.htm

It is really important that the pole is straight! It's not necessary that it is perfect round, maybe only at the ends.

And it should be made of ash tree!

Thank you very much for the education!

Now, I don't think anyone here could make the quality pole you're after for anything close to $130... I'm sure there are tricks to the process of making a high quality beautifully tapered pole that you want.

IMHO, you'd be money ahead to go ahead and buy one.

Anything I would build would be like reinventing the wheel to get the strength, and developing the techniques required.

It wouldn't surprise me if those poles were made from laminated strips glued together in a circular fashion for uniform strength all the way around.

I'd like to know how THEY make them... that would really be very interesting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only way I could do that project would be with drawknives and a hell of a lot of time. $130 would buy about 3 hrs of shop time for me. I think Joe is right, you're better off buying it IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if those poles were made from laminated strips glued together in a circular fashion for uniform strength all the way around
NO!! they would brake immediately! The aim is to fight with them, they would break apart if they would be laminated strips!

The only way I could do that project would be with drawknives and a hell of a lot of time
and that's the best way to do them!! then you will have a very good pole which won't break apart that fast!!
that's what I want to do but I don't know where to get the material!
maybe one of you can help me?! and how much does it cost?

I think Joe is right, you're better off buying it IMO.
the only reason why I don't want to buy them is due to the weight. they are too lightweight.
If they would use ash they would probably be much more havier!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
NO!! they would brake immediately! The aim is to fight with them, they would break apart if they would be laminated strips!
I work with ash and it is hard, but not flexible, it will break in such a long thin piece (unless green, like fresh cut, but that would have you cutting one once a week) Take a piece of 1/4" thick plywood and a 1/4" piece of hardwood and see which one break first....I will save you the trouble the plywood is MUCH stronger. The really strong steel swords are "laminated", folded and hammered. I am not trying to tell you your business, but a 2" bamboo stick for example will break long before a bundle of 1/2" ones lashed together to the same diameter . Maybe the solid stick is spec for competition, but for practice I would use a ply/laminate for long life. I make laminated archery bows for another example that have 50% greater draw strength than a straight grain stave.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I work with ash and it is hard, but not flexible, it will break in such a long thin piece (unless green, like fresh cut, but that would have you cutting one once a week) Take a piece of 1/4" thick plywood and a 1/4" piece of hardwood and see which one break first....I will save you the trouble the plywood is MUCH stronger. The really strong steel swords are "laminated", folded and hammered. I am not trying to tell you your business, but a 2" bamboo stick for example will break long before a bundle of 1/2" ones lashed together to the same diameter . Maybe the solid stick is spec for competition, but for practice I would use a ply/laminate for long life. I make laminated archery bows for another example that have 50% greater draw strength than a straight grain stave.
Hi Dave,

What was going through my mind was all out of Ash... BUT...
Strips of pie-shaped long-grained pieces glued together to form the long Pie stick... I would think it would have tremendous strength in all directions... NOT like a baseball bat, which has to be positioned properly to hit a baseball or it will easily break.

A long pole, just cut for the taper, would break on the first solid hit if the grain were not positioned properly. (and I don't think one is going to be studying grain while fighting with the stick) :)

Make sense?

Would cost well over $130... yes?!

·
Registered
714 Posts
our poles are all made of ash. until now not even one is broken.
It sounds like your poles are made from very small trees where the whole pole is basically a tree limb (or trunk) that has been only trimmed and sanded for the final shape. The grain of such a pole would be super strong... similar to what I would have made from cuts from a much larger tree... to form the tree limb, so to speak.

A baseball bat is made from a larger tree... grain must be positioned so the ball is hit against the grain edges... if hit against the flat part of the grain, it will break much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ash is what baseball bats are made of primarily. Hammer handles are traditionally hickory. And a laminated blank turned down would deliver the most strength. Although, the Lamination would be best with all the grain running parallel so not like plywood. 130 bucks for a store bought would will probably take you further. Any of us that would make it would probably take 2-3 tries to get it exactly how you want it. At that point we'd be loosing money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In other martial arts that is called a JO. Do a search on martial arts Jo and you will find many available. I've seen many of them made out of exotic woods too. Saw one made out of Zebra wood. Was a beauty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts