Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxes seem to be my favorite turning form. This is Ash with a walnut “acorn” finial. Added a bit of texturing along the bottom waist. 4” X 5 ½” in size and finished with mineral oil (fast becoming my favorite finish!) Waiting in line to be buffed. Comments/critique welcome…..Bill….

Attachments

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Hi Bill the boxes is a very nice design, nice bit of wood, and i think i like it as it is and not to buff it up. Do you do much to the insides Bill and the bottoms. Boxes get a bit addictive once you start.:thumbsup: keep um coming Bill....LB

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. And to "Sir", yep the inside and bottom are fully turned and finished with a hollowed lid. I'll try and get a pic later and re-post. Again, thanks it really boosts my confidence that I'm not just wasting wood!...Bill....

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Bill you never waste wood if you injoy what you are doing, if you come away from the lathe, with a sence of achivment and you enjoyed the time then theres your kick. But it always helps to have someone say something good about what you have done, gives you a bit of high, and gets you to improve that little more. Experiment on new designs and diff things, you've been turning awhile so know what its about and the things you can do, the biggy is the imagination. LB..

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Very nice. I love to put acorns on my ornaments. They seem popular with my clients as well. If I can find a small enough 60 degree cutter I'm to try to make one with a screw on lid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A really nice design and a pretty piece of wood. It hardly looks like Ash or is it both heartwood and sapwood? The texturing adds a nice touch; How do you do it?
Larry

·
Registered
22 Posts
ash box

Another great looking box. Boxes are also one of my favorite
things to turn. I am working on a cocobolo box with an ebony knob.
I'll post a picture when it's done. I really like the shape of yours.

Rich from NH

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wood is from an Ash that died of "ash withers" in the woods fronting our home. This piece was cut from the stump at ground level. Guess thats where the darker portion came from. There are streaks of this dark orange coloring throughout the logs, kind of like Ambrosia Maple. Texturing was done with a Dremel engraver. Your comments are appreciated and will post shots of the interior and bottom when I get to the camera!...bill...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts