Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a stash of white ash (about 100bft) and popular (maybe 50bdft). for 80 cents a board ft and grabbed it. the only problem is I have know Idea what to use it for?.... I guess ash rots easily and I've read that popular doesn't take stain well and is better painted and used for stuff like drawers. I guess what I'm asking is for some build ideas. I am currently building a storage rack for the bathroom, so I have some time to get some Ideas.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Ash has a lot of contrast, pretty wild looking grain, like red oak on steroids.
Rot? It will last as long as anything else used indoors.
If you like this look, make some bureaus or set of night tables to go with one and use the poplar for drawers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't plan on spending as much as I did, but when he said the price, I wiped him out of ash, still a lot of popular there, but a friend plans on swiping the rest, he has some hard/soft maple and oak but it's green, 50 cents a bdft, I think I'll grab some and sticker it up.

I like the grain of the ash, kinda looks like the catalpa I worked with....just don't stink as bad..lol. Thanks, for idea's....I built a bed out of beech for the boy..guess he could use a night stand and of course a tv stand, is there a kid out there with out a tv in there room now...guess I'm old, I remember only 1 tv in the living room and ya went else were to play when pap was watching the news.lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts