Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
It has been awhile since I have checked in and hope everyone is doing great and making new projects. I am curious if anyone uses an opaque tracing projector or LCD projector to transfer/enlarge plans on to their stock. What projectors do you use and how well they work. Most of the inexpensive tracing projectors have a small input area 5x7 and I don't know if they will project large enough to transfer to a 4x8 sheet of plywood and LCDs range in price from low to high and I also wonder how well they work. I want to be able to take pictures and turn them in to yard art. Anyone with experience with these I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
I probably would use one if I had one. Sometimes when I do wood carving I will print the design on paper from a computer scan or photo and paste it on the wood with spray adhesive. It makes it real handy when making multiple parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, Thanks for the reply, I do that too with stuff that is 8x10 or 11x14 but I want to enlarge a picture to a full sheet of plywood.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
More often than not, I use a pantograph to scale up drawings. The Lee Valley unit is very flimsy with wooden arms. So I harvested all the fittings and replaced the wooden arms with 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum that I bought at Home Depot. Now the thing has some weight, some mass, to it.

I suspect that you could even scale that up with 1x2 x 8'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts