Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding myself needing a 1 5/8" forstner bit. I typically buy the diablo bits at HD and have really been satisfied with them. Unfortunately I can't find one in that size at HD so I tried lowes for a PC and they don't carry that size unless you buy a 50 dollar set. I could order a wood owl bit and pick it up at lowes in a few days but I need it now and have never used wood owl bits either. I did see that woodcraft carries a couple one being a boremax for 50 which I can't afford at this time and I think the other which is 12 bucks is like woodcrafts brand or whatever. Has anyone used their forstner bits? If so how do they perform compared to the diablo bits? I will be using it regularly to drill holes for candle holders which I will be selling so I do need a decently clean hole. I will be drilling red oak which is fairly hard and later will be drilling cherry and walnut so it has to be able to cut through hard wood and keep a clean accurate hole. Any ideas on the performance of these bits and opinions on how long it will last before i need to replace it?
 

·
Sawdust Creator
Joined
·
8,047 Posts
I can't speak to their forestner bits....but their router bits that I've used have been of acceptable quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ryan50hrl said:
I can't speak to their forestner bits....but their router bits that I've used have been of acceptable quality.
Cool I'll definitely consider them then. I plan to head up there when my daughter wakes up from nap. I thought they would carry Freud bits but I didn't see them on the website. If I can get one of those for around 20 I'll do that but all I saw was their brand they carry and boremax which is way too much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I just picked up their set of forstner bits. They're on sale (reg $97, sale price $47) for the 16 piece set. I've used 2 of them and they worked great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Masterjer said:
I just picked up their set of forstner bits. They're on sale (reg $97, sale price $47) for the 16 piece set. I've used 2 of them and they worked great.
Nice! I may just get a set then. Never know when I'll need other sizes and that's a heck of a deal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
There are some tricks to sharpening Forstner bits. Big ones should be easier to get at than little ones. Leonard Lee explains the how-to-do-it in his book: The Complete Guide To Sharpening." Not what I expected but he's correct, as usual. LL is the grand old man of Lee Valley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robson Valley said:
There are some tricks to sharpening Forstner bits. Big ones should be easier to get at than little ones. Leonard Lee explains the how-to-do-it in his book: The Complete Guide To Sharpening." Not what I expected but he's correct, as usual. LL is the grand old man of Lee Valley.
Awesome! Guess I can buy any brand and just re sharpen when they dull. I'll definitely check that out. I've never thought about sharpening bits, I've always just replaced them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top