Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this out of a dumpster at work. Soldiers there always toss good stuff. Brand new vacuums, radios, action packers, ammo cans... This is fully functional workbench 550 made by black n decker. It works but the wood top is warped. I could replace it with new top of you guys think its useful. I currently have no work bench and work off two warped home made folding tables. I also have no vice and this says it has one built in. Lemme know what you think.

Table Furniture Wood Metal

·
7,222 Posts
Very worth fixing up. I have a B&D 300 and 400.
The 300 is presently used for housing my FlatMaster.

The 400 is parked on end waiting for the tasks when I need to pull this out for work, such as cutting/routing long boards.

These units make good vises, although limited in width and pressure.

I have used my units a lot over the decades I have owned.

Please replace the top with new flat wood or plywood. You will be happy you added this to your tool collection. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, great, needs some new handles, new pegs, and new wood. All seems doable.

Being new at this, would you make the top out of 1 sheet of wood then cut it at the end? Or make it from 3 separate sheets.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
My boss threw one away in the dumpster because he left it out in the rain. I pulled it out of the dumpster and replaced the top. I have to say that it comes in handy so much that I don’t know how I ever did without one.
It’s funny because 30 years ago all my carpenter friends would make fun of anybody who had one, so I never bothered. Now I wish I wouldn’t have listened to them. :smile:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have a great workbench and a b&d (don't know the model #). They are handy little portable benches to say the least. Don't toss it out, fix it an use it. I don't think that middle board is original to the bench. Take it out and see if the outer 2 pieces meet in the middle. Two pieces is all you want or need

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto part Machine tool Technical drawing Diagram Machine

Looks like it came with 3 boards. They are all stickered and just has some weird paint on it.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
By all means replace the top. I would use plywood thicker than the original. I have some Workmate knock offs that I am going to replace the MDF tops with thicker ply, if the original tops ever wear out. They are holding out well so far.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Sure but I wouldn't put a lot of time in it. Get it to clamp and lay flat. Your going to want to invest in a much more stable and larger bench later. My bench was about the third project I built. But I had a small one to start with.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
For what you paid, for sure keep it and use it. Many years ago I received a Workmate as a gift. It came with two boards and some dogs. I got a lot of use out of it. My only complaint is the offset leg structure in the front. You get used to that. I like the ability to do uneven clamping if necessary.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Fix it up; they're very handy. I recently used mine to hold a small wet saw I bought to do the ceramic tile in our bathroom renovation project.

A number of years ago, we replaced all of our interior doors, and I used the Workmate to hold each door on edge while I routed for hinges, planed for width, etc.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I recently used mine to hold a small wet saw I bought to do the ceramic tile in our bathroom renovation project.
Funny you say that because I used it to tile 5 rooms in my house and then I used it to set my miter saw on to do hardwood floors in two other rooms. That alone would have paid for it if I had bought mine that is. :smile:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok all done. Now is there something I can put on the mdf to seal it? I was gonna spray paint it but if there is something i can put on and it will soak on I don't wanna paint just yet. Lemme know

Table Furniture

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
prinler said:
Ok all done. Now is there something I can put on the mdf to seal it? I was gonna spray paint it but if there is something i can put on and it will soak on I don't wanna paint just yet. Lemme know
Nice job.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
303 Posts
"I was gonna spray paint it but if there is something i can put on and it will soak on I don't wanna paint just yet. Now is there something I can put on the mdf to seal it? Lemme know "

Some people use Poly. I used Titebond III on one of my MDF topped utility benches. When it dries its transparent and shiny and will repel water and moisture.

I wouldn't use paint, but thats just me.

Great job by-the-way !

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice recovery! My wife gave me one almost 40 years ago. I still use it a lot. I Would give it a few coats of Urethane to seal it an protect it. As a plus, it will keep glue from sticking to it. You can home-make a set of dogs with just some 3/4 inch dowel stock glued into a 3/4 inch hole in a 1 1/4 inch square block. Then wait for the Army guys to throw the OEM versions in the dumpster because they can't find the workmate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha thanks guys! You know, I didn't even look for the toggles. They were probably there to. They are super cheap tho!

I'm glad you guys like the refurb.

I really want some vices next. Big strong wood vices. Perhaps the army will toss some of those next lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.