Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
Thought this was about Harbor Freight tools?

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
I thought SK went tits up a while back. I guess I was wrong. They always used to be good tools. That was many years ago though.
Ken
First job I had 60 years ago was at a hardware store, got staff discount on 3/8" drive SK socket set, still use the ratchet and have a few sockets left.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I thought SK went tits up a while back. I guess I was wrong. They always used to be good tools. That was many years ago though.
Ken
2010 I think , your correct. Ideal industries bought them out ( neighboring town and make electrical tools).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here I'll put it back on track for you .
I recently bought a couple of moving doolies for 1/2 the price of Menards.
They worked so it was a good buy.
I bought a 4" angle grinder for tile work and it still runs ($15 or $20 a few yrs back).

·
Registered
13 Posts
HFT are cheaper than renting and usually OK for a one off job, sometimes they last forever.
I needed a cement mixer 15 years ago for a small job. Still runs fine. It was cheaper than renting and when it dies, I can sell it to the scrap yard.
My drill press from there lasted 15 years before I needed to replace the chuck and taper. There has been a little repair work on the handle spring (very carefully). Still works fine.
My first hand plane was one of theirs. Shite from the start, tuned up OK, but promptly replaced with a Bulldog. (Still in use for glue cleanup.)
I used to think that the dollies were a bargain to get casters, but the casters are pretty lightweight. Still use the 3-4 dollies I have though.
Air tools (nailers in particular) are fine if you remember to oil them.
I haven't used their battery powered stuff, but that's because I am invested in another system that meets my needs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking of dollies: If you know someone in the convenience store industry that can order from their suppliers (won’t name the company I go through but think of the big ones) they can get the industrial Dollies for cheaper than Hf ones. Same brand as the link below but my source gets them for $78 per case last I checked. Rated at 250# a piece and can be interlocked to create larger ones if needed. I had a Laguna 14BX delivered and placed the pallet right on those suckers and made it a breeze to move around. If you don’t know someone yet, might just stop into your local and make friends and see if they’ll do you a solid. The ones that have independent owners/franchisees are the best candidates.

Adco Industries Mini Mule Vault Cooler Dolly for C-Stores Convenience Gas Stations Carts 6 Each per case (1 CASE) Amazon.com: Adco Industries Mini Mule Vault Cooler Dolly for C-Stores Convenience Gas Stations Carts 6 Each per case (1 CASE) : Industrial & Scientific

PM me if you need more details.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
A guy I know who does remodeling told me about people who buy a tool for a one off use & return it when done.

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
Jakobe was big on moving blankets, dollies,cheap paint sprayers for CA and mobile tool boxes for upholstery depwrtment...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I do NOT agree that just because many tool lines may be built in the same factory, makes them basically the same tools. As well, I do not have great feelings for HF power tools.
Based on secondary (I've used my friends' while helping with projects, but don't own any myself) experience with HF power tools, they do not stand up to the likes of the bigger brands. They are loud, vibrate, and generally feel uncomfortable and/or unsafe. I'm guessing bearings and bushings could be upgraded to improve performance? They also do not tend to remain square, requiring constant adjustment for "fine" work.
In my opinion, HF tools are ok for the following:
  • home user, who perhaps doesn't do a lot of woodwork.
  • construction workers, where there is concern for tool theft.
  • beginner users, with future plans to upgrade when they can afford.
IMO, HF is great for simple tools and supplies.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Central Machinery drill press has been as good as anything I've used. It has no, continuous variable speed but I bought mine before that was widely available. The quill lock is also the round type, which is not my favorite, but runout is very minimal, and the chuck has held up very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I worked at a Harbor Freight on the side about 2 years ago. As others have said, it just depends. Some of the tools I have power wise are the Bauer portable band saw, a stationary belt sander, the oscillating sander, and a floor jack. Then just random hand tools and such. Some of the Quinn and Doyle hand tools are nice for what they are.

Oh, I also have two of the Predator 2000 watt inverter generators for my travel trailer.

Edit: And one of the Bauer rotary hammers when I was replacing my floors and ripping up tile. It worked well too. Never got too hot which I was waiting for.

We had a local tire shop chain that would buy 100 floor jacks at a time. They would treat them as disposable between their shops.

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
Woodworking isn't fun if you have to wait to buy all the name brand expensive tools out there.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,091 Posts
It's no stretch to say that not all tools are created equally and that holds true within certain brands and subbrands..Example: The old Central Machinery brand often sold at HF.. Some were ok, some utter crap. I went through two of their older green combo sanders because they were cheapo..The motor in them is worth more than the entire machine put together .Just to change belts you pretty much have to take 80% of the damned thing apart plus the method of holding bearings in were terrible. Recently I upgraded to their Bauer brand..MUCH easier machine to use. You change belts with a flip of a lever.
A lot of the tools sold are fine for the price and some even better than the price like wrenches and socket sets.
I've broken almost every expensive brand of wrench over the years, but beating things apart with a Pittsburgh brand and a sledge hammer? It just bounces right off..Those things are indestructable..
But for every great deal HF sells they also sell 5 duds i won't even consider paying money for them.. They should change the name from Harbor Freight to the Live and Learn tool store.. lol

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,091 Posts
Sometimes I'll use the online reviews section of tools at harborfreight.com. Drill down into the reviews 10 or so pages and you'll get a pretty good idea of whether the tool in question is worth the price. I always look for reviews that go deep into the problems people have run into and if it has good detailed reviews I'll usually consider them. Sometimes I just want a better tool such as a table saw. I don't care how great the reviews are I'm not buying a HF TS under any circumstances.. Hammers? All day long..They've come a long way since they started, but still sell some real duds..

41 - 56 of 56 Posts