Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, an interior designer who brings us work from time to time, asked us to further 'decorate' her client's foyer. When we left the job, it wasn't painted so I hadn't really seen the end result. (I recently sent my son back there to grab a few shots for us ...and for a post).
Central to this foyer were a pair of 'mirrored' staircases. Though good looking in their own right, she wanted to raise the bar even further so we faced the adjacent walls in wainscot.

Every time I see one of those old movies filmed in the interior of a 'grand estate'... I'll sometimes see hallways with arched ceilings that have been paneled. It is a look that kills me. Absolutely cool looking. Hardly anyone builds this way anymore.
And then an opportunity showed up (albeit, on a more humble scale AND these passageways were arched already... but I enjoyed paneling them anyway). We paneled and wrapped casings on a pair of these passageways (and built the wainscot) using (man-made) flex moldings. They are available with matching profiles to popular, straight-run moldings where I live. Since it was a paint job, we simply applied frames to the walls and ceilings (which became the panels). This also made the project more affordable.

Having a few photos of this work would help convince others to consider it.

Russell Hudson / http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Russell that trim work is unbelievable! Absolutely flawless and fantastic! How, may I ask, do you make curved molding...? I'm needing to make some curved window trim and would love to know how you made yours, as long as it's not a trade secret ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russell that trim work is unbelievable! Absolutely flawless and fantastic! How, may I ask, do you make curved molding...? I'm needing to make some curved window trim and would love to know how you made yours, as long as it's not a trade secret ;)
You didn't read it all, 'Hands Made'. Besides using man made, flexible molding (like I did), there are 1) machines that allow you to cut molding profiles in an arch (an arc cut from wider stock) 2) you can attempt to laminate strips that when stacked, create the profile 3) a clever guy with a router can sometimes get creative as long as he doesn't have to match something pre-existing. Painted curved moldings will be a lot easier to fabricate. There's a lot of knowledgeable guys here. Perhaps you should start a thread with this question. I'd love to learn more, myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts