Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the curved moldings are installed! Final touches and I'm packing it in! I'll have to post photos of the process I went to make the curves!

Here's one shot for now, (I'll be getting more later). This will give you a taste of the finished room!

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
29,621 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post photos when I get the chance, of the process used! I did not use a moulder for these curves. They are two separate 3/4" poplar routed then stacked and glued. Photos will make sense of it!

Thanks guys for the kind words!
Levi

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Awesome! cant wait to see the build thread!

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To start, here's the process I used... no moulder, CNC.. just simple tools with a little patience.

1. I started by tracing out the inside of the window's curve on 1/2" MDF for my template that I would be using for each of the trim pieces. Then cut the inside arch with a jig saw, VERY CAREFULLY.

2. Now for the outside cut. I needed the template roughly 4" wide. Matching up with the profile of trim I had originally shaped for the bottom of the windows I made a little pencil gauge to make a line parallel with the inside curve. (Did that make any sense?)

3. After tracing and cutting the outside arch I sanded out any bumps or imperfections. Lastly, I counter-sunk some screw holes throughout the template.

4. Next I had to prepare my stock. I couldn't believe it when I went to Home Depot to find they didn't sell 1x22 poplar!! So I had to make ends meet (no pun intended) and edge laminate some poplar. I went on to screw my template to my stock, (keeping in mind strategic placement for best use of my wood) I then cut out the curve with a jig saw about 1/8"-1/4" from the edge of the template.

5. Now that I had my rough cut curve with the template still secured to the stock. I used a flush trim router bit to clean up the edge, duplicating the exact arch as my template. Because of the curve running across grains, I really had to take some time, avoiding tear out. I do have a few spots to touch up from learning the hard way.. oh well. You live and you learn.

Attachments

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that I reached that stage, it took some time, but I just repeated those steps till I had 10 arches cut.

Next I ran them through the planer to clean up the uneven seams from laminating. Once planed, I ran them through the router once again for the edge mold. Because of the curve, I used the inside curve cut off from my MDF template to use as my curved little fence that I clamped to the router table.

After a little sanding, these pieces were ready!

Next was the second layer of moulding. This piece would be glued to the top of each piece I had just made. I traced and cut down my original template to the size needed. Again with the help of my little pencil gauge.

Attachments

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once my new template was cut, I sanded out any nooks or crannies to ensure a smooth consistent curve.

Now I was ready to cut out my rough curves with the jig saw and repeat the same steps I had used on the large curves. Screwing my template to my rough curve, I flush-trimmed it with the router. (Yes... that is my hand holding the drill....) :laughing:

Finishing up with cutting the curves, it was time to make them look like something! I took I believe 4 passes with a narrow straight bit to make a step in the curve.

Attachments

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Things are finally starting to look like something! I molded the first step. And then the 2nd step.

I sanded the smaller curved moldings before I glued and pinned them on the larger curves.

I was now ready to spray the moldings!

Batta Bing. Batta Boom. Here you have it folks! the moldings are then ready to install.

If any of you have questions, feel free to ask! I hope I did a decent job of explaining things.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Superb - an inspiration to all of us.

I'm moving house to a rather more modern place next week (that is, 1820 for the new one as against 1620 for the old one) and will keep your standard of work in mind as I start the several projects I plan to carry out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts