Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27,740 Posts
I don't care for the way the ones pictured are made. If it were me I would run the stiles the full height of the door. Doors like that are normally made 1 3/4" thick. Do you have a supplier you can get 8/4 wood from? The doors are pretty simple. You could just make a tongue and groove joint on the parts and use a rabbeting router bit to run a 3/4" dado for panel to fit in. In addition to the mortise and tenon you would need a doweling jig and put 1/2" dowels about 4" long in the stile and rail joints. Then it could be assemblied with an exterior glue such as titebond III. The panel should be splined together and it appears at the joints have a v-groove to accent the joint.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Sort of chicken and the egg.........

Not trying to make too much of it but,the interface between hardware and "this" particular style of door is....somewhat important.The design process sees them going hand in hand.If you're taking the time to build a custom door,make dang sure the hinges are going to work,AND look appropriate.

Looks are pretty important here.....otherwise,why build this style.So,it stands to reason the hinges are critical to success.Heck,we've got books here that are nothing but,doors twds a particular style.....so I know there are resources out there.Google images.

The very best of luck,looks like a fun project!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.