Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build an arbor using 4 X 12 western cedar. I had thought about using a 2" straight cutting bit with a top bearing and cutting the first side using a template. Then go to the opposite side use a 2" straight bit with a bottom bearing and use the previous cut as a template to finish the cut.

I didn't mention but I am cutting th scallop on the ends of the main beam to mimic the same cuts on the joists which I can cut with a jig-saw, the joists are a full 2" and the beams are a full 4".

Anyone have any thoughts on a better way or comments on the method I have described.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
That straight bit plowing through stock on both sides is asking alot and can get tricky. Are you saying you are burying the bit in a 4" beam and them coming in from the other side?
I would want a spiral bit for that and even then you want dust collection as you go. I would cut all of it I could with a recip saw close to the line then at least you have one side of it gone and wouldn't have so much torque to deal with.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Texas Timbers, yeah I had planned on removing as much stock as possible before doing the routing.

I had thought about the spiral bits but didn't see anything with a bearing for following the template. If you have a source for these bits I would certainly look into using one.

Thanks again for your comments.

Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Texas Timbers, yeah I had planned on removing as much stock as possible before doing the routing.

I had thought about the spiral bits but didn't see anything with a bearing for following the template. If you have a source for these bits I would certainly look into using one.

Thanks again for your comments.

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts