Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to start a complete teardown on two old saws. 113.299040 and tomorrow Im going to look at a 113.298032. The plan is to somewhat take a woodnthings approach to bolting two of them together but without any wings so I can use just one rip fence for both of em. Anyhow, on to the question at hand.

I plan to tear down and clean up both saws, paint anything that needs painted, etc. I figure Ill replace the bearings while im in there, need em or not. I know I need a 6202-2RS-5/8" bearing. Where is the best place to buy bearings? I know I can get a case of these on Ebay for about 15 bucks. I can also get them at a local bearing supply company for about 2 bucks each. Im not looking for cheap though. Im looking for a good sealed bearing that Im not gonna be replacing in 5 years. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Look for either a Bearing Distributors (business name, sometimes abbreviated as BDI), or maybe Applied Technologies. Any business that caters to industrial supplies may also have them, but the bearing stores above usually have them in stock.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bearing supply company in town is a place that caters to industry. I got the same bearings there for my jointer but I paid 2 bucks a piece for them so I assume they are cheap chinese bearings. I just didnt know any better at the time. Im just wondering if another more expensive bearing is better and if so, what Brand would be reccomanded. The only bearing brand I know is Timken but I dont know anything about them. I only know the name because they used to have a warehouse here in town.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Although Timkin and Fafnir both have a long history for quality they too may have moved production from the US but here is hoping at least some of the quality has been retained.

That 6202-2RS is real common so everyone jumped on the band wagon. I've bought them cheap for lawn tractors where the ID missed the measurement 0.003". That just doesn't work when they need to be a push fit.

I suggest taking the parts the bearings are to fit with you when possible and check fit before leaving the supply house. I know I now do being a return for me is a 70 mile round trip.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although Timkin and Fafnir both have a long history for quality they too may have moved production from the US but here is hoping at least some of the quality has been retained.

That 6202-2RS is real common so everyone jumped on the band wagon. I've bought them cheap for lawn tractors where the ID missed the measurement 0.003". That just doesn't work when they need to be a push fit.

I suggest taking the parts the bearings are to fit with you when possible and check fit before leaving the supply house. I know I now do being a return for me is a 70 mile round trip.
My research shows that a 6202-2RS has a 15mm ID. This one is a 6202-2RS-5/8" which has a 5/8" ID. That may be the difference. I'm getting ready to start disassembly so I may just bring the parts with me if I buy them local.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My research shows that a 6202-2RS has a 15mm ID. This one is a 6202-2RS-5/8" which has a 5/8" ID. That may be the difference. I'm getting ready to start disassembly so I may just bring the parts with me if I buy them local.
I suspect you are right and just as if we needed to add to the confusion with the metric for the past 50 years. And by all means don't forget to carry two sets of tools with you. You may need them on any one project.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
On the OWWM site the members rave about Accurate Bearing in Addsion, IL. The company is an industrial bearing supplier but goes out of its way to help the individual who is restoring older machines. I personally haven't used them (yet) even though they are a short drive from my house. Give them a call and ask for Lynne. She is experienced in dealing with older woodworking machines. Have the old bearings in hand when you call.

Contact info:

Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100
Fax Toll Free 800-323-3116 or 630-543-2116

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I talked to Lynne at Accurate Bearing and what she reccomended for woodworking machines is a TPI bearing. Its a sealed bearing from a Japanese manufacturer. They are $6.25 each. That sounded a little pricey but Ill order them if they are good bearings. I know the ones I put in my jointer were only a couple bucks each but I dont recall the brand. Im sure they were cheap bearings. So, anyone know anything about TPI? Are they good?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I buy mine on Amazon if I need them quick (prime) for $3-$5 each or buy 10 packs on ebay for about $15 if I can hold off a few days. don't put too much effort into finding 2RS just buy a shielded 6202 and you'll be fine.

I usually end up getting Timken which is a quality bearing.

Go to Sears and buy a few woodruff keys and C-Clips. You're going to break em.

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, these are for the arbor. I hadnt even considered the motor bearings. I had planned to just blow the motors out and rool with them but if I should replace those, I will. Ive never been inside an electric motor but Ill try anything once!! Lol

Yes please, if you have a link to a tutorial or something, Ill have a look. Can never have too much info and pics. Ive never had one of these saws apart either. Dosnt seem to be too much to em though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, these are for the arbor. I hadnt even considered the motor bearings. I had planned to just blow the motors out and rool with them but if I should replace those, I will. Ive never been inside an electric motor but Ill try anything once!! Lol

Yes please, if you have a link to a tutorial or something, Ill have a look. Can never have too much info and pics. Ive never had one of these saws apart either. Dosnt seem to be too much to em though.
Hah, jeez for some reason I had it in my head that you were refurbishing a radial arm saw. :wallbash:

·
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know if the bearings in the motor is the same as the blade arbor? Im plannning to open the motors up and clean em up, figure I may as well replace the bearings while im in there.

I got one of the saws completely disassembled today. I was surprised at the simplicity of these saws. Not really much to em. The arbor bearings were a royal PITA to remove. I have 4 different size sets of bearing/gear pullers and the ones that were long enough had too large of hooks, etc. What a nightmare. Anyhow, they are off. Ill take the arbor and the new bearings to work and press them back on.

Need to get these bearings ordered so if anyone knows for sure the bearing size in the motor, Id greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Anyone know if the bearings in the motor is the same as the blade arbor? Im plannning to open the motors up and clean em up, figure I may as well replace the bearings while im in there.

I got one of the saws completely disassembled today. I was surprised at the simplicity of these saws. Not really much to em. The arbor bearings were a royal PITA to remove. I have 4 different size sets of bearing/gear pullers and the ones that were long enough had too large of hooks, etc. What a nightmare. Anyhow, they are off. Ill take the arbor and the new bearings to work and press them back on.

Need to get these bearings ordered so if anyone knows for sure the bearing size in the motor, Id greatly appreciate it.
Dollars to doughnuts the bearings inside the motor are 6204z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts