Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically I work with 3/4" thick to 1.5" thick aprons where I would Use standard M&T construction with corner reinforcement or brace. However, I'm making some small cabinets for the family where the side apron and front apron join and the apron will be only 1/2" thick because of the cabinets small scale. It cold be thicker, but it seems out of proportion. My concern is the joinery for each corner, I don't feel comfortable to M&T the corner joints with the connection members only 1/2" thick. SO I have considered a butt miter with a splice. I tried a double lock miter, but still too thin of material. I made sample joint using dovetail construction, although certainly possible, the family did not care for the appearance. (!) So at the present I'm looking at either a mitered butt splice or a butt splice with a miter and corner brace. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The best answer would depend on the remaining structure of the cabinet but, in general, a miter joint with a hidden spline should be very strong and adequate for what you are doing.
Photos and/or sketches would help with a better answer.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I glue in 'corner blocks' - you can make the dimension as long / thick as you feel needed for strength

1 - 5 of 5 Posts