Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone was going to throw out this end table and I said to hell with that, I'm gonna refinish it.
I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what style it's considered and maybe an approximate age.
I couldn't identify wood types if my life depended on it. I'll post a pic when I get it sanded and maybe someone could identify for me.
I know it's nothing special but it's not complete junk so I'm going to refinish it and make a couple dollars :)
I won't really be able to decide on a finish (contemporary or natural) until I get it sanded down and expose the wood and see what I've got.

Window Automotive lighting Grille Wood Automotive exterior

Rectangle Wood Font Metal Circle

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Due to the dowels showing on the top, we can assume it's just solid wood. However, be careful with your sanding until you're sure it's not veneer. Good luck with the renovation.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
the canning is too perfect - likely machine made.
if there are cane loops on the underside, that would indicate old handwork.
if you see no holes on the underside, that would definitely be machine made.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I do caning, hand woven and pressed-in. There's a spline around the edges of the cane. The cane is pressed-in cane. If the cane ever gets damaged, it's fairly easy to replace. The hardest part of replacing pressed-in cane would be removing the old cane... and spline. Your local library may have the book "The Caners Handbook". It's a very good book for DIYers..... good descriptions, lots of good pictures and inexpensive. It shows you how to do, not just caning, but also flat reed weaving, rush work and wicker.

Most caning/weaving supplies are inexpensive. I buy from Frank's Cane and Rush Supply.

Sonny
My last weaving job, flat reed woven onto the rocker..... really easy weaving. For the old look, I let the reed soak in warm/hot water for more than 30 minutes. Usually, you only want the reed (or cane) to soak just enough to soften, about 20 minutes... the color remains light. When soaked longer, the color darkens a bit, giving it an aged, used, worn appearance. The customer wanted the new reed to look old, like her inherited grandmother's chair.
https://flic.kr/p/2jxNdam https://flic.kr/p/2jxNcG2

·
Registered
601 Posts
Another note about that caned table. The cane appears to be stained dark. You can't stain cane via a normal staining technique. After installing, you seal the cane with shellac. In the case of that table, the shellac is tinted dark, to match the finished woodwork. You tint the shellac sealant, rather than trying to stain the raw cane, to achieve the dark finish.

If you try to use a liquid stripper to remove the woodwork's old finish, re: refinishing, be careful and tape off the cane/spline. You may not want to remove any finish from the cane/spline and/or it may be difficult to replicate the color/shade if areas of the finish is removed.

Sonny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts