Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this Apprentice Collet Chuck from Craft Supplies. The runout on this thing seems totally unacceptable, it shakes like a hula dancer. Am I missing something? See my Youtube video to see how bad it is.

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a double check against an issue with my headstock I put my Supernova chuck with the small jaws on those same threads and chucked in a (bigger) forstner bit. No noticeable runout. So it's gotta be the collet chuck.

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank, your comment made me realize that the chuck wasn't even close to threading far enough to seat against the back plate of the spindle. I just double checked and couldn't spot a defect in the threads (like a stray bump), but the threads bind up on the spindle way before the spindle comes close to bottoming out in the chuck. Looks like a defect in the threading, maybe the piece shifted on the metal lathe when cutting the threads.

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that's what I just tried, no collet and no end that holds the collet - looking in the end you can see lots of space where the spindle should still be able to thread in, but the collet threads themselves seem to stop it from going further. It's a dud.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
As posted earlier, a quick call to CraftSupplies and they'll return/exchange it with no hassle.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Hope you get the quality service I've experienced from Craft Supplies, they've always been very good to me.

I have the same collet chuck, and it looks like we both have the Nova 1624 lathe ... mine is a rock-solid combination now that I have the tailstock perfectly aligned with the headstock.

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Called them this morning, the call went pretty much like:

me: I received my collet chuck this weekend and was defective, wouldn't even screw all the way onto the spindle. My order # is....

them: Sounds like you got a defective piece, I'll have a new one sent out today, we'll check the new one before it goes out, and is it OK if we send the return mailing label to the same email address as the order?

me: yes, thanks.

Can't get much less fuss than that. I had been looking forward to playing with it yesterday, but I'll get over it.

I've got the Nova DVR XP lathe and have been quite happy with it. I've got it on a wooden stand similar to what they suggest in the manual (with a bag of sand on a shelf down below for extra weight). A while back I figured out that the guide plates on the tailstock had shifted and there was no way to reposition/tighten them while it was mounted on my stand, so I took the lathe off and then cut out most of the table top between the bed rails so now I can slide the tailstock up to the head, use a double ended taper to align them, and tighten the alignment plates from underneath. Easy now.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Can't get much less fuss than that.
Isn't it nice when you get this kind of service?

It's no fun that you didn't get to play with your new toys when you wanted, but they treat you with respect and do all they can to lessen the pain.

Hope your next one is machined properly, I think you'll enjoy using it.

My next purchase after the collet chuck was a set of metric ER-32 collets, 3mm -- 20mm in 1mm steps ... since each collet will open & close by 1mm, there are no gaps in the range, and metric is really easy to keep sorted in size order :yes:

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll admit that I had visions of being told I had to pay for return shipping, waiting for the return to arrive back to them before they'd ship the replacement (or guaranteeing the cross ship on my credit card), and waiting for their normal slow ground delivery for the replacement (she said she'd ship the replacement by 3 day service). All of those things have happened to me by other dealers over the years.

It was nice when I didn't need to have the fight I was prepared for if necessary. The conversation went so fast I completely forgot to ask if I could buy a bag of their stepped dowels and throw that in the box for no additional shipping - oops.

I'm planning to use the collet chuck to try some bottle stoppers. I don't really have much personal use for bottle stoppers, but then I'm such a computer guy I didn't really have a use for pens either and that went totally out of control. So maybe I'll start drinking now.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
IThe conversation went so fast I completely forgot to ask if I could buy a bag of their stepped dowels and throw that in the box for no additional shipping - oops.
Call them back -- there's a chance they haven't already shipped.

I didn't really have a use for pens either and that went totally out of control. So maybe I'll start drinking now.
That's what I like, a positive attitude :laughing:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hope you get the quality service I've experienced from Craft Supplies, they've always been very good to me.

I have the same collet chuck, and it looks like we both have the Nova 1624 lathe ... mine is a rock-solid combination now that I have the tailstock perfectly aligned with the headstock.
I have the Nova 1624 as well and just received the Nova DVR conversion kit for the 1624. It took me about 1 hour from opening the box to making the conversion and get it running. No more changing belts plus more hp. The conversion kit motor is about 1 1/2" shorter than the original motor.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have the Nova 1624 as well and just received the Nova DVR conversion kit for the 1624. It took me about 1 hour from opening the box to making the conversion and get it running. No more changing belts plus more hp. The conversion kit motor is about 1 1/2" shorter than the original motor.
I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences with this as time goes by ... how much does it cost?

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just googled for that headstock upgrade and it looks like it's almost $1600! That's just a couple of hundred less than a brand new DVR XP sells for on sale (without legs) and then you have an entire second lathe to keep or sell. Did you get the upgrade for less than that?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The price you state is for the actual DVR head, but the price for the DVR to 1624 is $899. The head looks like the 1624 but actually is a new motor with the DVR controls on top. Surprisingly the complete unit is 1 1/2" shorter and 2 hp. Here is a link http://www.novatoolsusa.com/Woodturning-Lathes_c2.htm
Remember it is a conversion unit and you need to remove your existing motor and replace it with the new upgrade. You do not get the complete head, you use your existing head. That is why the price difference $1600 vs. $899.

I was able to get a Bata unit for less but I was very lucky I just happened to see it on a search of their site and than called. They returned my call and I bought the Bata unit. The very next day I saw it as a commercial offering. If you will notice the manual still states Bata unit.

I have not had a chance to use it very much because I am busy with another project which is helping me to pay for the upgrade.

I am just getting use to the programing feature and speed controls, but it sure beats changing the belt/pulleys to change the speed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts