Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this in the general woodworking section before I realized there was a wood finishing section of this Website forum.

Here goes:
Does anybody have any information or guidance they would want to share regarding applying gold leaf to wood (in this case Maple) and then applying a hand rubbed finish over it? I've never applied gold leaf before and I have a very concentrated area (approx 3" x 7") in the middle of a small to medium sized table top (14" x 28") that I want to add gold leaf to. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips.

I want to use the Sam Maloof Oil & varnish combination hand rubbed finish, but I have no idea how it will react over the gold leaf. Any suggestions for prepapration?

Thanks, John.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Sam Maloofs finish is "one third glossy varnish, one third boiled linseed oil, one third tung oil" and is sold by Rockler. The only suggestion I would make is to seal the gold leaf with zinnser Seal coat before applying the Maloof finish.(A 1 Lb. cut should do well) Varnish does not always adhere well to gold leaf.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I originally posted this in the general woodworking section before I realized there was a wood finishing section of this Website forum.

Here goes:
Does anybody have any information or guidance they would want to share regarding applying gold leaf to wood (in this case Maple) and then applying a hand rubbed finish over it? I've never applied gold leaf before and I have a very concentrated area (approx 3" x 7") in the middle of a small to medium sized table top (14" x 28") that I want to add gold leaf to. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips.

I want to use the Sam Maloof Oil & varnish combination hand rubbed finish, but I have no idea how it will react over the gold leaf. Any suggestions for prepapration?

Thanks, John.
Have thought what you are going to put the gold leaf down with?

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
Have thought what you are going to put the gold leaf down with?
It's called sizing liquid. It is available any place that sells the sheets of gold leaf. I think anyone trying to do gold leaf for the first time should buy cheap imitation gold leaf at a hobby store and get some experience with it before purchasing real gold leaf for a project. If there is any detail like carvings you are applying leaf over it can get pretty difficult.

·
Registered
26,214 Posts

Here goes:

Thanks, John.
I would be apprehensive putting any oil based finish over gold leaf. Oil based finishes tend to give an amber cast and continue to yellow as they age. You might be better off over the long run to seal the leaf with sealcoat and topcoat with a water based polyurethane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts