Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a tip for applying General Finishes Woodturners Finish that I want to share. I had read about using a piece of panty hose over an applicator pad and while shopping for panty hose, I noticed these little cosmetic sponges, normally used for applying make-up. I wrap one of those in the panty hose material and they seem to hold a good amount of finish and seem to apply it pretty evenly. If there's too much finish in the pad, it will apply a a slightly thick coat that looks great on the lathe, but sags before drying, but you just need to make sure you dont add too much finish to the pad; a few drops seems about right. The make up sponges come in various shapes, I'm using the rectangular ones. They're three for $3, so not quite cheap enough to be disposable, so I rinse them out after use.

One last tip: I wear a disguise in the checkout line :)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I can add these items to the eye-shadow sponge-on-a-stick that I use to clean sand out of my underwater camera housing when I'm diving.

Anyone gives me funny looks in the check out line, I just smile at them ... for longer than they feel comfortable with :yes:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I buy emery boards at the local Sally's beauty supply to use in sanding. They go up to 12,000 grit and are washable. Been doing it so long the ladies there know me which might be a bad thing.

The one I like best is 600, 4000, 12000 on same one I use it to buff pieces to a high gloss and get any imperfections out I don't like.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I learned from a dog groomer the best trick I've found for removing skunk smell from a dog, plain vinegar and water douche. I have found myself in a small town grocery store during a hunting trip, buying every box of Massingill on the shelf. That's an awkward check out as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts