Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone out there want to design my new built in for a niche in my living room? It'll need to house a 52" flatscreen, and electronics, also would like dvd slide out cabinet.

Any takers....
I drew this up as a rough idea for what I was thinking.....any takers?

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
beltboy, I don't think many people will download something to their computer unless it is from an established member, and even then I'm hesitant to do so. If you need help posting the drawing let me know, but I don't want to save the file to my computer to get it.

It's nothing personal just common sense these days with viruses so prevalent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Beltboy, your idea looks good.

If it's a niche then will the outside or back of your constructed cabinet be exposed?

If no - then your only visual concern is the front, right?

Well, then construction can be extremely simple - no real need for dado or toothed fittings, trim can conceal boxed and T joints in the front.

If I were you I'd keep it simple: Longest pieces would be the sides.
then I'd fit the pieces that will be the 'shelves' for everything - top, middles, bottom. . . a few inches between the bottom and the floor. All these would be set in with screws from the outside or with L or T brackets on the side (you can carve out an inset for a concealment)

Then fit all verticle slats that will be shelf and door-cabinet dividers.

Then craft the trim and veneer (if you use any) to fit and, lastly, attach the doors.

Everything can be simple - nothing has to be complicated if you're tucking it away.

If you're not tucking it away then I'd suggest using mitered joints and more complex corner-methods.

If your TV is a flat screen of some type then you can use a wider piece of wood (maybe a nice birch plywood), framed on the underside for support, and finished off with trim to match everything else.

·
Registered
486 Posts
beltboy, I don't think many people will download something to their computer unless it is from an established member, and even then I'm hesitant to do so. If you need help posting the drawing let me know, but I don't want to save the file to my computer to get it.

It's nothing personal just common sense these days with viruses so prevalent.
you should look at running a Linux/Ubuntu box...

·
Joonya Membah
173 Posts
You could do this in Sketchup pretty easily. Maybe take you a couple hours to learn, then another couple hours to draw this out.

·
Randy
31 Posts
TexasTimbers I would'nt worry about a PDF file to much !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts