Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone subscribes to Shop Notes magazine? I would like to order a good woodworking magazine but not sure which is the best one. There are just too many choices.
Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was wondering if anyone subscribes to Shop Notes magazine? I would like to order a good woodworking magazine but not sure which is the best one. There are just too many choices.
Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated.
I do Shop Notes and Wood magazines. Im you are fairly accomplished and not terribly interested in jigs, or shop addons (ie, you're already pretty well set in that area) you likely won't get much from Shop Notes as that's it's primary orientation. Hardly any furniture and stuff. Wood magazine covers that. Many like Fine Wood Working but I found it to be far to advanced for me or my tools:blink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do Shop Notes and Wood magazines. Im you are fairly accomplished and not terribly interested in jigs, or shop addons (ie, you're already pretty well set in that area) you likely won't get much from Shop Notes as that's it's primary orientation. Hardly any furniture and stuff. Wood magazine covers that. Many like Fine Wood Working but I found it to be far to advanced for me or my tools:blink:
I am interested in some plans for jigs and shop setup so maybe I will just get a yr. sub. and try it.
I would also like to get one that has plans for furniture projects and stuff.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Right now I'm subscribed to Shop Notes, WoodSmith, and Popular Woodworking. Shop Notes and WoodSmith are from the same publisher, and are quite good. Shop Notes focuses on shop tools and setup, and WoodSmith focuses on furniture and "in-the-house" projects. Both are entirely subscription driven, meaning no advertisements. They also seem to be a little more willing to give a less than stellar review of a product, although I've yet to see a "Don't bother with this, it's junk" review anywhere.

I picked up Popular Woodworking because they're moving more and more in the hand-tool direction, which is the same as I'm doing. The other two are both very heavily power-tool based. For someone more sensible than me, that might be a good thing. :cool:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Over the years, I've tried Shop Notes several times and just didn't really see it that useful. I subscribe at the moment, but still don't like it it as much as Woodsmith, Wood, or Popular Woodworking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
WW Mags

I get SN but I will not renew. I am not a jib building guy. In fact I do not plan on re-newing any of my WW Mags. I have tons of old ones stashed and I can dig around in them and find a new project.
Getting all those mags can get costly and no longer fit in my budget.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I subscribe to Shopnotes and Woodsmith. I recently added Wood magazine after deciding to give up Popular Woodworking. The reason there are more than one magazine choice is because different people have different interests.

I'd suggest calling your nearest library and seeing if they get any magazines your MIGHT be interested in reading, and then visit the library to peruse and then check some out to take home and study. Your taxes pay for the library so you might as well use it. Even if it's far away, most libraries have the ability to mail to you, and some have ability to loan you electronic editions for your e-reader. Some e-reader providers have applications to download to your computer to read publication on your computer even if you don't have an e-reader.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies and info i will check out all these options
You all have been very helpful. I got the electric run to my shop today i now have lights and recepts and a small work bench. Can't wait to get started mAking sawdust!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Am currently a subscriber of ShopNotes and love it. Also am subscribed to Wood, ShopSmith and Woodworki Journal and at one time WoodCraft or something like that. I have sense let Woodworking Journal and Woodcraft go and am going to stick with ShopNotes, Woodsmith and Wood Mag. All have good projects and am always looking for something that might make a job easier or make organization better in the woodshop.

We are currently working on getting shop more organized and that is why I am subscribed to ShopNotes.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Can of worms here. Head to the public library and start browsing the ones they carry. Many magazines offer a free trial period so you may preview what the have to offer. I have been thinking about getting shop notes also and will pull the trigger soon here.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I find Wood magazine has a lot more stuff I can take to the shop with me than a lot of the others. I occasionally pick up individual mags when something on the cover piques my interest.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hello Arkie,

I know that ShopNotes and Woodsmith offer free trial magazines (1 issue).

Other publishers might do the same.

I say get the free mags so you can decide which ones to subscribe to.

The publishers will bill you for a subscription but if you decide not to subscribe simply write "cancel" on the invoice and mail it back.

·
Trytore Member
2,763 Posts
Check other threads as suggested above. For someone relatively new to WW and setting up shop I think Shop Notes and Wood are good choices. Check your library. Also, preview them at the book store to see which calls out to you.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I subscribe to SN and Wood Mag. I also bought the SN DVD with all of their issues. I enjoy searching and viewing the articles. Lots of info for $100 or thereabouts.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
It was mentioned above that Shop Notes primarily focuses on shop improvements and jigs and such, but don't assume that you "don't need any more jigs" and therefor have no use for Shop Notes Magazine. Not only does Shop Notes show how to make various jigs, machines and fixtures, it also helps woodworkers understand HOW to make certain kinds of tricky cuts and HOW to safely perform difficult and tricky operations in sensible, safe ways.

Personally, I think Shop Notes is a magazine that all woodworkers can benefit from. Even if they never build any of the specific projects contained within. But, trust me, you'll be able to find projects in Shop Notes that you'll want to build for your shop.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Steve.

I've spent a good part of my time in the last five years outfitting my shop and building jigs.

ShopNotes will get you off and running on both of these aspects of WWing.

I've found that ShopNotes (and this forum):has not only helped me by giving me specific jig and shop projects but also taught me that for every special challenge I might face in the shop there is a solution.

You'll find yourself building your own jigs using methods, materials and hardware mentioned by others for your own specific needs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts