Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this online quite a distance from me but it is listed pretty cheap. I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what it was so I could decide whether to make the trip or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turned out to be a Belsaw model 684 which at one time had the bed of a jointer you could attach to the top of it. I just wanted it for a molder so I don't miss that. The guy was asking $60.00 for it and after driving 80 miles to look at it the guy plugged it in to show me it worked and it didn't. I went to the truck and got a voltage tester and made sure it was getting power and it was. Other than that it seem to be in pretty fair shape so I asked him what he would take for it not running and he said 20 bucks so I have it now. It did have one set of crown molding knives in it. The most unusual part of it was it had a Emerson motor on it that the HP listed on the motor was blank. I think in all likelihood it just needs a new switch to get it running.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Thats my kind of deal....

"Funny,it was working yesterday".I'd give you a 20 for the drive system.Putting together a "walk away from" resaw feeder for BS.

Good luck with it,am sure its just something minor(switch).

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats my kind of deal....

"Funny,it was working yesterday".I'd give you a 20 for the drive system.Putting together a "walk away from" resaw feeder for BS.

Good luck with it,am sure its just something minor(switch).
I found the problem with it not running. There is a safety switch on the top of it that kills it if the cover is open. The screw activating it was just out of adjustment.

I have a new problem to work on though. One of the threaded rods that is part of what elevates the bed is stuck. It also appears to be out of synchronization with the other three so I'm wondering if the bed is twisted. Haven't had time to get any measurements on it.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
One way to make a height gage.....can also be used on a drillpress to hold long stuff up(the ends),whilst workpiece is in vise....is:

Go get a fine thread hex,"coupling".7/16" or 1/2"....then get a few different lengths of the matching SHC's(allen's).Now you have a machinist jack,hillbilly style.But they do work great.Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts