Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2hrs 15 mins from me. And I don't know enough about wooden bench planes, moulding planes & makers to judge what it's actually worth. I like road trips, I just don't like spending too much. And 4 or 5 hundo is far beyond my "shot in the dark" comfort zone lol

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
it's basically a time capsule. it's nice but I don't think the price is warranted.

I've gone to many an auction where the transitionals are are $2 to $20 and the smaller molding planes are $2 to $5, the chest, $20 + depending on how nice it is. the other smaller things like the gauges, calipers, wrench, clamps, etc I would get in box lots for $5 to $10 for all.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Molding planes run 2-$5? I was at a yard sale this past weekend where a guy was asking 25 each for molding planes. He probably had a dozen of em.

Gideon, what type of auctions do you go to for tools?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Molding planes run 2-$5? I was at a yard sale this past weekend where a guy was asking 25 each for molding planes. He probably had a dozen of em.

Gideon, what type of auctions do you go to for tools?

I'm in Pennsylvania, Philly. All around here there are auctions and these come up frequently. I see them range all over the place depending on rarity. If the collectors aren't interested, there are lots of these to be had.

A few years ago, I remember seeing a box of 20 of them go for $3.50 per piece. At that auction, I got a stanley type 2 no 6 for $2. pitting and stuff but useable.

More recently, the collectors came out for an auction but weren't interested in what I wanted. I scored a bedrock type 1 no 7 for $5 or $10.

There's still lots out there. The price on this cl listing is far above what this all could be gotten for if picked up at different times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts