Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to make a cupola by some people that we just finished up some painting work for. I have never made a cupola before but I found plans here http://www.familyhandyman.com/roof/how-to-build-a-cupola/view-all and It looks really easy to build but I don't know how to price it. I am thinking 500 which would include removing the old one and installing a new one.

The way I see it is I probably have 150 to 200 in cost (but I need to go and price it all out before I finalize a price) and build it in a day and install it in a couple hours. Is this underestimating time?

They want a Light inside it which is no big deal to do. I am just going to wire the light and drop down the romex into the attic and have the guy I work for friend who is an electrician come and wire it to the circuit which is not included in my quote. I am just trying to figure out how to make it so the light bulb can be changed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I think about the more I relies 500 is low. I am thinking 800 would be fair? I don't know what they would do if I told them 5000 but I think she might pass out.

I think in the quote I am going to make sure the know that the way I am doing it that its not going to rot out like the one they have now because I am using steel vents http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...&catalogId=10051&productId=3284752&cId=listel Pvc brick molding for the vent frame. Flashing the base in steel so it wont rot out. and Using cedar for the couple of parts that I couldn't find azek thick enough for.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd double the cost of materials. And add your hourly rate (not below 25 an hour). I figure 8 hours for build and install if I was doing it.

800 to 1000 doesn't seem far off depending on size.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'd double the cost of materials. And add your hourly rate (not below 25 an hour). I figure 8 hours for build and install if I was doing it.

800 to 1000 doesn't seem far off depending on size.
Its going to be 24"x24" you are right about materials. I priced out everything I need and it looks like it is 270 but it will be close to 300 after I acount for special glue for the composit wood and nails and screws I will use

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I don't do anything related to a roof. (I don't want the ongoing possibility of a leak.)

I would decline the project saying that it is beyond my skills.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have got my quote wrote up. just have to get a sample of the composite I am going to use so they understand what I am talking about.

Scope of work

• Remove existing cupola from roof and haul away the debris

• Prep roof for installation on new cupola

• Build a new “24x24x30” cupola with lighted interior.

• Cupola will be built from azak a composite material that does not rot and never needs painting.

• Options of shingled or metal roof. Metal roof is $150 extra.

• Installation on roof includes installing flashing around base and caulking.

• Run romex down from light and into garage attic. Note this does not include wiring into existing circuit as this requires a licensed electrician to complete.

price 800.00

I have done many carpentry jobs and is a sample of my work

(I have some more pictures of trim work I have done stairs I redid and a deck just couldn't get them to load) I though it would be a good idea to show some of my prior projects)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't have much of a suggestion on your quote. As far as building it with access to the light.

Seems you have two choices. Either hinge the top on one side. The top could be lifted to access the light fixture.

Or, hinge one of the sides. I believe hinging the top would provide the
easiest access.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't have much of a suggestion on your quote. As far as building it with access to the light.

Seems you have two choices. Either hinge the top on one side. The top could be lifted to access the light fixture.

Or, hinge one of the sides. I believe hinging the top would provide the
easiest access.
I didnt think about hinging the top but that could realy work

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
As long as its latched in some way to prevent the wind from blowing it open. Don't know if I'd trust weight alone to keep the top down.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I am thinking about is having a vent be removable so you could just change the lightbulb that way. I may also put in a led bulb so it dosnt have to be changes for 20 years.

·
Registered
187 Posts
coupalo

Ever try getting an item that size up a roof and getting it installed?
I'd say at least $500 just for installation because you will most likely not be able to do it alone. Have worked on many roofs with all sorts of attachments, they are all a pain and you always have to worry about leaks! Just figure it will be a least three times harder installing it on a roof than on the ground.

Good Luck,

Bandman

·
Registered
182 Posts
cupola

Lets say you start to remove old Cupola, and Shinngles and the deck is Rot, and you have to Install new Decking that will eat into your Profit? Price it like 1500, all They can say Is, Thats Higher than we want to spend, Then you can say I can come down some, Or Get someone else. I use to Install New Roofs and we always gave a 24 month Gauartee(sp). Be Wise...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
What I am thinking about is having a vent be removable so you could just change the lightbulb that way. I may also put in a led bulb so it dosnt have to be changes for 20 years.
Yeah, I was going to suggest that also. Just have screws hold it in or something. As far as hinging the top. Any number of ways to keep the top down and secured. Magnets, a hasp, snug fit + weight, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gave them the quote a couple weeks ago and It turns out that these people are crazy. I showed them everything and gave them the price and they acted like i am crazy and said we were thinking about spending 400 at most. So i just said thanks but thats unrealistic because that will only cover materials. I am not to upset because I have been working with a builder and we are doing a garage roof next week and I have a whole list of stuff people want made.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts