Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think that the lever cap is off a stanley wood bottom not sure i dont have any stanley trans planes.I like my metallics

·
Registered
704 Posts
That cap is certainly off of a stanley transitional. I have a couple of them and they look the exact same. Not sure who made it but it would be tough to ID that plane.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Maybe there are casting marks or numbers under the frog on the base and on the bottom of the frog? Under the tote? Pre lateral is pretty cool.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no markings I was hoping someone would recognize it by the square knob bolt.I was also hoping it was the proper lever cap.this plane feels heavier the 604 1/2.I didnt pop the frog off yet maybe a foudry number under it.I was looking at one of my books and looked at the type1 siegley the tote does look like that,but the type 1 siegs have the cheeks are pinned on and has that bar for the lever cap

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My guess would be an early Stanley Bailey bed (type 4 or earlier) and a bunch of repairs/replacement parts.
Also could be one of the companies who began making Stanley clones after the patents expired.

Is the inside of the depth adjusting nut stamped "L Baileys Patent" with 2 dates? That would indicate its from a Stanley between type 2 and type 7. Otherwise you've got either an off brand or a really mix-and-match frankenplane.

Like I said just a guess.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My guess would be an early Stanley Bailey bed (type 4 or earlier) and a bunch of repairs/replacement parts.
Also could be one of the companies who began making Stanley clones after the patents expired.

Is the inside of the depth adjusting nut stamped "L Baileys Patent" with 2 dates? That would indicate its from a Stanley between type 2 and type 7. Otherwise you've got either an off brand or a really mix-and-match frankenplane.

Like I said just a guess.
I thought the same thing at first, but if its a 5 1/2 size, they didn't get manufactured until 1889, which put them well into the type 6 territory.

A very intersting find, even if it is a frakenplane. It could be a type 6 or later that's had a pre-lat frog put on after.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if it is a stanley type 4 it doesnt have the 73 casting number behind the frog.its a 4 1/2 size.4 1/2's were made 1884 last year of a type4.the frog looks like a stanley to the round sides the Y adjuster looks rounded like a stanley would.The first thing I did was look at the adjuster wheel,its not stamped and looks like the type 10the smaller wheel.the front handle is not a stanley that could have been a replacement and what of the split nut on the tote?It seems frankenplane but could the plane as the orginal state,could it have been a prototype?Or a just one of the first types of the 41/2's?not taking in to acount the missed matched parts but as in the main casting and frog.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The type 5's& 6's have a differnt frog and base.I would guess that it would be uncommon to use that old of main casting and frog.If they did use one with the other base or frog it woud take alot of machining to get one to fit the other?Iam going to check rexmill my john walters book guide to ID & value doesnt have the best pics

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked the levercap bolt threads with a stanley levercap bolt and they arenot the same to my understanding only stanley used that thread.So i guess it is a clone.I was hoping it would be some uncommon manf.Should have seen it didnt have a differnt design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts