Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all of the content!

Anyone have any idea what’s happening with Jet? My wife ordered me the 10” bench top jointer planer back in November as a Christmas gift. Since mid December, we’ve been receiving emails pushing back the shipping date. It’s now been pushed all the way into August!

Just checking to see if anyone has any insight? Or a good replacement for under $650. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pandemic, maybe? That slowed everything down. Welcome to the forum!
Definitely a factor I’m sure and yet 10 months? Rockler has been less than stellar about communication outside of the email we get about once every 45 days saying it’s been pushed back and we need to call to keep the order active or they’ll cancel it and refund our money (which is a dumb policy in and of itself, why should I have to call every month or two to keep an order active? Why not keep it active unless I call and cancel??)

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
I agree with @RepairmanJack above statement. Everyone seems to be back logged. I waited 2 minths for a table saw and band saw and I thought that was long. Yours is rediculously long.
I think it's all Covid related. Combination of everyone getting big checks and manufacturers and shippers short on help.
Hopefully, it will all get back to normal in the next several months.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The pandemic has disrupted supply chains around the world.

Jet could be waiting for the iron and steel. They could be affected by tooling supply issues such as abrasives for grinding. They could have production slowdowns due to worker separation and other Covid requirements. It could be at the dock waiting for a ship, or on a ship waiting to dock and be unloaded. ... Or it could any combination of the above.

I had to wait a couple months for blades. The manufacturer told me that they were waiting for the steel they needed to make the blades. They arrived a few days ago. I ordered them in February.

Why not call Jet and ask them what is holding up production and delivery to you?
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/company/contact-us/

·
Jack of too many trades..
244 Posts
Lumber's impacted too - combination of pest infestation in Canadian stock, plus tariffs, plus a boom in housing construction, plus a covid-driven reduction in production.. and you can't get a 4x8 piece of OSB for less than $40, or 2x4s for much under $10. Completely nuts.

Oddly, I can go buy hardwoods for fine woodworking for a lot less than cheap construction lumber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lumber's impacted too - combination of pest infestation in Canadian stock, plus tariffs, plus a boom in housing construction, plus a covid-driven reduction in production.. and you can't get a 4x8 piece of OSB for less than $40, or 2x4s for much under $10. Completely nuts.

Oddly, I can go buy hardwoods for fine woodworking for a lot less than cheap construction lumber.
Yep. I was going to do a simple assemble/out feed table from 4x4 and 2x4 construction. I’m waiting on some soft maple to get dry enough now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Shipping containers are backed up all over the world now and it's not getting much better with the days..
Before I found my SS locally I searched all over the internet and everyone was backlogged on everything. I just got lucky that sales at the only woodworking store within miles has been slow too..
Is Jet your only option? Check local sellers and even CL.. Lots of woodworking equipment for sale on CL since the price of lumber shot up. It's a buyers market on CL..

·
Jack of too many trades..
244 Posts
At the moment, there's a real premium on what you can find at the brick-and-mortar suppliers. If you know something's in-stock locally, you're better off buying that and cancelling whatever you've ordered.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Future prices may go up. In the states steel is up 19% and it gets much worse for the alloys.
In the company I retired from a customer now gets 2 quotes per order with 1 of those being what they have to pay for steel upon quote approval.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely a factor I’m sure and yet 10 months? Rockler has been less than stellar about communication outside of the email we get about once every 45 days saying it’s been pushed back and we need to call to keep the order active or they’ll cancel it and refund our money (which is a dumb policy in and of itself, why should I have to call every month or two to keep an order active? Why not keep it active unless I call and cancel??)
I've heard of this policy from Amazon as well.
Some accounting thing? (That money is a liability for the company until they ship the tool - and they can't even recognize the revenue from it because they might have to refund it at any time).
Some kind of consumer protection thing (to prevent you from forgetting about an order that they just never ship)? I'd love to know the reason.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,066 Posts
I'm sure with the Covid checks tooling got thinner and thinner. Income tax has come and gone for some as well. I'm sure by mid summer things will start looking better...

Maybe I should try and sell the lumber again?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts