Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am facinated by some of the segment results that you can get. It is so hard to determine how things are going to come out when you segment them together.

Below you will find a picture that I found on the internet with a pen that has a circle segment in it. I received a bit of information from the individual but I can't make out exactly how it is done. Can anyone cypher the directions and successfully get a circle? The best I can get is a "cat's eye".

This was the response: Hello this is going to be hard to explain.but I take the blank and mark it inwards on a 45 at both ends then I cut the other piece of whatever color I want and I glue the four pieces back together then when you turn it down it becomes a circle.

Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would assume drill out the blank perpendicular to the long axis, insert a dowel of contrasting / alt. material and trim prior to turning, but as was said, I cant really see the picture either.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Below you will find a picture that I found on the internet with a pen that has a circle segment in it.
Not sure what you mean by a "circle" in it. You mean like take your pen blanks, drill a hole through it and insert a contrasting colored dowel. Like this picture from my "old gallery" here ?

Attachments

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what you mean by a "circle" in it. You mean like take your pen blanks, drill a hole through it and insert a contrasting colored dowel. Like this picture from my "old gallery" here ?
Sorry about the picture. It was just a thumbnail and I couldn't find any others. But, yes the pens you pictured are what I am trying to do.

I understand you could drill it and plug it but I am trying to prevent having to turn the insert and glue it into place. I think there is a way to cut and glue with the tablesaw and not have to turn two different things.

Fred

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I have used a plugcutter for smaller blanks and done like Daren mentioned. While the blank is still square, pick a spot, drill a hole, glue in a round piece. It's no big deal turning a small dowel. In fact you could use up a lot of your little scraps this way. Drill your hole first in the blank, then turn a dowel on the lathe to fit the hole snug. If you turn the dowel 5-6" long, you'll have enough for a half dozen blanks or so.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Splinter Cushion
661 Posts
Perhaps you mean something more like this?

This pen blank was glued up using a laminated sammich of oak and walnut cut and reglued at 45 degree angles, yet, the pattern came out rounded. I suppose that I could've been more careful about cutting and regluing the 45s so that there was more of a circle instead of an oval. It was just an experiment. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts