Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to find out who designed it and beat him up. Then beat up my fil for giving it to me. No belt guard, one of the blades was thrown out while running. Luckily it just hit the ground. They're held in by friction, wth man. Fence doesn't stay square. There's no markings on it anywhere besides the motor is made by sunlight motors in Ohio. 1/4hp 4" blades.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That appears to have been made long before belt guards were common. A knife shouldn't have come out, friction fit or not....I suspect they were not tightened or installed properly.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I've seen many old Craftsmans, Deltas with no belt guard, just put it up against a wall.
The "friction" is usually provided by set screws, which have to be tightened to provide friction.
The fence may be missing a tension washer, another "friction" problem?
Try unscrewing the handle and adding a lock washer?

·
7,222 Posts
+1 that the knives should have some means to hold in place. Too easy for centrifugal force to overcome a friction fit.

The style of the fence tilt/lock reminds me of my first jointer, an AMT 4in model. The locking at the right side of the tool meant a lot of flexing in the fence.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I don't really want to beat anyone up for the record. I'm happy to even have a jointer. I'm sure the stand was homemade at some point, motor probably added so I can't really blame the manufacturer. I'm just frustrated with hand me down tools lol.

Anyways I really am interested in finding out more about this thing. The knives are set into a slot, then a bar that has three screws. You back out the screws tight in the slot to hold the knives. My fil said it was already set up, he's used it a few times. I should have double checked so the blame is on me. Just scared the crap out of me. I should have known better anyways, the outfeed wasn't even adjusted close. It is quiet though. A real plus.

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
The pictures help. Happy to see you have the normal 3 jack screws to hold each knife in place.

The jack screws apply force on a bar which applies force on the knife.

Under the bar, if you are lucky will be two screw to adjust the height of the knife. The head may be machined with a recess for the bar.

If you do not have the screws, then adjusting the height of the knives will be a pain - nudge and fudge, with perhaps a lot of cursing. :laughing:

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pictures help. Happy to see you have the normal 3 jack screws to hold each knife in place.

The jack screws apply force on a bar which applies force on the knife.

Under the bar, if you are lucky will be two screw to adjust the height of the knife. The head may be machined with a recess for the bar.

If you do not have the screws, then adjusting the height of the knives will be a pain - nudge and fudge, with perhaps a lot of cursing. :laughing:
Thanks. It's nice putting a name to the parts lol. No I don't have those adjusting screws. I already know about the pain of adjusting. Luckily just the knife that shot out needed adjusting. The others were dead on.

I feel I got lucky with that mishap. The knife hardly got any damage. It could have wedged itself between the head and machine and who knows what would have happened. Probably a spinning belt, but that's best case. Or shot up beside the board somehow!

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I want to find out who designed it and beat him up. Then beat up my fil for giving it to me. No belt guard, one of the blades was thrown out while running. Luckily it just hit the ground. They're held in by friction, wth man. Fence doesn't stay square. There's no markings on it anywhere besides the motor is made by sunlight motors in Ohio. 1/4hp 4" blades.

~Stumpy Nubs
this is about the motor go here and read and maybe do some more reserch ? http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2013

·
7,222 Posts
I forgot to mention before, the screws normally apply force by being turned as though you were UNSCREWING.

The bar is threaded so turning to screw them into the bar should allow you to get the bar then knife out. Worthwhile to sharpen while you have these out.

From the age, these could be stuck. I would spray some rust penetrate before you attempt to remove.

You can make a quick and easy jig to hold the knives to sharpen on e.g., abrasive and flat plate, which is what I do.

I made this from a piece of scrap. Table saw cut for the desired depth of the knife. Works for me.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention before, the screws normally apply force by being turned as though you were UNSCREWING.

The bar is threaded so turning to screw them into the bar should allow you to get the bar then knife out. Worthwhile to sharpen while you have these out.

From the age, these could be stuck. I would spray some rust penetrate before you attempt to remove.

You can make a quick and easy jig to hold the knives to sharpen on e.g., abrasive and flat plate, which is what I do.

I made this from a piece of scrap. Table saw cut for the desired depth of the knife. Works for me.
Thanks. I figured that out when I was reinstalling the knife. They're fairly sharp already and pretty clean so I don't think I'll be sharpening them soon. It seems the jointer was pretty well taken care of mostly. None of the bolts were stuck, even the jack screws were easy to turn. I was surprised I could turn them by hand when it was out.

That's an awesome jig though! I'll probably use it for when I do sharpen the knives. I don't think I'll get a lot of use out of the machine since it's so small and has the flimsy fence. I'll have to take some time to work out the kinks, but I don't have a lot of it right now. I just needed flat edges from old wood for another jig I built today. this thing doesn't work great for long stock, but it got the job done well enough.

~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,730 Posts
jack screws or not?

the "jack" screws are like little jacks under the blades that will position them at the correct heights. They are completely different than the gib screws which tighten the blade against the side of the slot by "backing" them out or unscrewing them in a counter clockwise rotation. Just so you know what is what. ..... FYI.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the "jack" screws are little like jacks under the blades that will position them at the correct heights. They are completely different than the gib screws which tighten the blade against the side of the slot by "backing" them out or unscrewing them in a counter clockwise rotation. so so's you know what is what. ..... FYI.
Ah ok. I got it now lol. Makes sense

~Stumpy Nubs

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
If you can move the motor up any closer to the top pulley. You will cut down on vibration and gain some power.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 4 1/8" C-Man Jointer and I feel your pain. I bought it off of Craigslist for $25 figuring this would be better than a sharp stick in the eye. The fence was crap. Thin sheet metal with spot welded hardware to attach to the adjusters. I removed the fence and replaced it with this...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22075&site=ROCKLER

While I did lose about 5/8" in planning surface, but I can set the fence to 90* and it stays there. I'm just saving and waiting on enough for a 6" jointer.

~Bumpus

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey bumpus, that's a good idea! Thanks for sharing that.

~Stumpy Nubs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts