Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neighbor just asked me if I might be able to turn a "percussion stick" to match an existing one (it was a pair, but the other was lost). It sounds easy at first, but then I assume that these need to be made from a specific wood probably at a specific dryness and I have no clue what those might be. I was given the attached blurry photo and besides the phrase "percussion stick" that's all I know.

Has anyone made something like this and know what kind of materials to use?

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
I can't tell much from the photo but would say kiln dried hard maple would do the trick. That would be my choice anyway. It turns nicely, sands very well and is incredibly strong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
percussion sticks

I made a set of drumsticks for my great nephew for Christmas out of hickory. In my research, hickory is the wood of choice. They came out great and he really liked them.

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are drumsticks, I think percussion sticks as my friend meant are banged against each other, but I have no clue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The last "Percussion Stick" I used was against a shark! It had a small gauge shot gun shell on the end of it. And in that application, the kind of wood you use isn't important, so long as the shell goes off.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It's true most drum sticks are made of hickory with the lighter ones usually made of maple. If these are claves, those are usually made of dense tonal woods, like rosewood or ebony. However, other dense woods will work just fine, such as walnut or maple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts