Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If tile wasn't so expensive to ship I'd probably become a dealer. I get nice tile all the time but no one in this area likes to spend the money for good stuff.

No-one needs anything? I'm dying for some 1/2" shaper cutters, anyone have any to sell? I only have a roundover cutter now with a straight edge top. I've tried pretty much any combination of cuts possible but they're not really all that great. I can cut some nice bullnose for stair treads though.

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Jodie; I know you are looking for barter but check out Grizzly, they are even in your neighborhood :}:}:} very very reasonable, I use em for my 3/4 bore cutters
JackM

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was there last weekend, slim pickins for 1/2 bore cutters. I went to woodcraft yesterday and they have a nice Frued set....for $699! I think I'll just sell the shaper and get a newer one.

Also I picked up a craftsman radial arm saw, craftsman 10" flexdrive table saw, and an old craftsman 8" table saw with tilting table that needs a stand.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Howdy neighbor.My shop is about 20 miles south of you on Route #30.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can't say for sure how many, I have run into one other scoundrel that is attempting to nibble on my secluded wood source. Some of my recent projects can be seen at www.crookedlittletree.com

Ed

·
Registered
419 Posts
½" shaper cutters.

Hey jodiemeglio, you can always use bushings to mount ¾" shaper cutters on your ½" spindle. You may have some that came with your shaper. They look like little top hats with a hole through. If not, youcan buy them cheap enough.

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was there last weekend, slim pickins for 1/2 bore cutters. I went to woodcraft yesterday and they have a nice Frued set....for $699! I think I'll just sell the shaper and get a newer one.
If you're thinking about using them on the Craftsman shaper on your site, I just sold one like that 2 weeks ago. I used it for 25 years and used quite a few Grizzly 3/4" bore cutters, using sleeves to fit the 1/2" shaft. I used it for everything up to and including raised panel doors. Long as they either fit through the table opening (figure 2 5/8" diameter max) or above the table with a guard, they worked just fine for me. I did find a 3 hp shaper recently or I'd still be using that one, it's a good solid unit and will drive 3/4" cutters just fine (long as they fit).

Paul

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're thinking about using them on the Craftsman shaper on your site, I just sold one like that 2 weeks ago. I used it for 25 years and used quite a few Grizzly 3/4" bore cutters, using sleeves to fit the 1/2" shaft. I used it for everything up to and including raised panel doors. Long as they either fit through the table opening (figure 2 5/8" diameter max) or above the table with a guard, they worked just fine for me. I did find a 3 hp shaper recently or I'd still be using that one, it's a good solid unit and will drive 3/4" cutters just fine (long as they fit).

Paul

It's funny that you mention this today. That's exactly what I tried out last night. I used a 3/4" bit with the sleeves I mainly wanted to make sure it could handle the bit. It was a triple flute and it worked great.
Did you ever use yours for raised panels?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's funny that you mention this today. That's exactly what I tried out last night. I used a 3/4" bit with the sleeves I mainly wanted to make sure it could handle the bit. It was a triple flute and it worked great.
Did you ever use yours for raised panels?
Yes I have made many raised panel doors using that shaper. I have been using mainly Grizzly cutters and collar bearings very successfully. The one Stile and Rail set I have is less than 2 5/8" diameter and goes through the table opening just fine. I did make my own fence though as I didn't like the one on it, it's one piece and solid. Once I had the stiles and rails done, I'd make the panel. I had both a Delta Vertical panel raising cutter plus 3 or 4 Grizzly horizontal panel raising cutters. On those horizontal cutters, I used a spacer to raise it some so part of the bearing and the cutter would be above the table. The bearing would match the inside cutter profile diameter so it would act as a rub collar, next the panel raising cutter, facing down.

I also bought a Delta upper guard (large piece of round plastic with a bearing in the center) to try but hadn't made any raised panels on it since purchasing it so I'm not sure how well it would work. I still have it and will try it one day on some project.

Using a starter pin, slowly swing the panel under the cutter then using the bearing, make the cut on that side. Do it for each side of the cut. I also had a kind of a fence that clamped to the other side of the table from the starter pin for additional support, just clamped down. I'd make my first cut (panel would be face up), about 1/3-1/2 of the depth I needed. Lower the cutter and do it again till I had the desired profile. If needed, I'd do a back cut on the tablesaw.

That pretty much covers it. Consider that Delta guard if you try horizontal panel raisers on that shaper. It always made me nervous with that much steel and carbide spinning over the table without any form of usable guard.

Hope that helps.

Paul

PS - Grizzly has bearings and sleeves and adapters to use or join 3/4" cutters and bearings on a 1/2" spindle shaper. This is in addition to the 1/2" cutters and bearings they sell. They've worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts