Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on them, Grizzly has three, G0538, G0739, and G0723. Looking in particular at the 723, but noticed it @$200, has a 1/4 HP motor, while the 739 @$130 has a 1/2 Hp, and the 538 @$160 has a 1/3 HP.

Seems strange the most expensive one has the smallest motor. All have a plastic base, and cast iron table except the 538 has a particle board table, which pretty much lets that one out for me.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
Reactions: Alchymist

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, but it's 99% sure I'll go Grizzly; 2 reasons - most of the shop equipment is Grizzly, no Menards within 100 miles, and HF is even further. Grizzly is about 10 miles off a trip route that I take 4-5 times a year. (Next Friday is next trip).
Leaning towards the 723 because of the 1" spindle stroke.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broke the bank at Grizzly - picked up the G0723 sander. Just got to try it out tonight. If it's a durable as it is handy, will be well pleased. It is in fact the 1/4 horse motor, but seems to have plenty of power, and the full 1" stroke is nice. Got to rig up a shop vac and clean the grease off the top and it will be ready to go.

Also picked up some extra sanding sleeves, a 3/4 X105" bandsaw blade, and the spindle adapter for the shaper. Nasty, snowy day, and there were just 2 other customers in the whole place, and it's a huge showroom.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: This sander rocks! Used it on several projects so far, and it didn't even break a sweat. Did a nice job on 2" thick maple and walnut contours. The 3" 60 grit drum really removes stock. Finer grits cut fairly fast and leave a nice finish. Dust collection works pretty good even with the smaller shop vac I use. Does leave a little dust on the table, I just brush it toward the spindle with the vac running. All in all quite happy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Broke the bank at Grizzly - picked up the G0723 sander, ..... and it's a huge showroom.
That place is huge is right. Been in there twice when picking up items and can't look at everything. Not enough time for it. Travelling through, well kinda on the way from DC to Northern Michigan isn't it?

Jon
Northern Michigan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts