Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info on them, Grizzly has three, G0538, G0739, and G0723. Looking in particular at the 723, but noticed it @$200, has a 1/4 HP motor, while the 739 @$130 has a 1/2 Hp, and the 538 @$160 has a 1/3 HP.

Seems strange the most expensive one has the smallest motor. All have a plastic base, and cast iron table except the 538 has a particle board table, which pretty much lets that one out for me.

·
where's my table saw?
31,251 Posts
Reactions: Alchymist

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, but it's 99% sure I'll go Grizzly; 2 reasons - most of the shop equipment is Grizzly, no Menards within 100 miles, and HF is even further. Grizzly is about 10 miles off a trip route that I take 4-5 times a year. (Next Friday is next trip).
Leaning towards the 723 because of the 1" spindle stroke.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Broke the bank at Grizzly - picked up the G0723 sander. Just got to try it out tonight. If it's a durable as it is handy, will be well pleased. It is in fact the 1/4 horse motor, but seems to have plenty of power, and the full 1" stroke is nice. Got to rig up a shop vac and clean the grease off the top and it will be ready to go.

Also picked up some extra sanding sleeves, a 3/4 X105" bandsaw blade, and the spindle adapter for the shaper. Nasty, snowy day, and there were just 2 other customers in the whole place, and it's a huge showroom.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: This sander rocks! Used it on several projects so far, and it didn't even break a sweat. Did a nice job on 2" thick maple and walnut contours. The 3" 60 grit drum really removes stock. Finer grits cut fairly fast and leave a nice finish. Dust collection works pretty good even with the smaller shop vac I use. Does leave a little dust on the table, I just brush it toward the spindle with the vac running. All in all quite happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.