Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Just the Opposite

Sometimes I can't understand why I am so compelled to work in the shop.

Sunday, a buddy and I went up skiing at our local slope. It was amazingly good for such an early opening and the weather was superb. We skied until our out of shape legs would not take it anymore. I got home, put my ski stuff away and went immediately to the shop and worked on a rocking chair until midnight.

I am a wood "hound", meaning I am always on the lookout for free wood or cheap wood deals. It's kind of amazing what you can come up with when you are always in the hunt. What I am getting at is that I always seem to have a sufficiency of nice cheap wood and I am always thinking about what I can make with it.

When I'm not in the shop I'm here at WWT or designing something to build on Sketchup.

Oh well, I guess there are worse addictions. I don't gamble except for the occasional Lotto ticket. I drink about one beer a day. I just have a desire to build things almost all the time.

I have all the handmade furniture I need. the house is full of stuff I've built. But there are always people needing gifts. I work in the shop making gifts for friends and family members. People really like getting the gifts I make for them but I think I enjoy giving them even more.

I do have some other interests such as golf and hiking but nothing as compelling as woodworking.

Bret

· Registered
1,391 Posts
P.S. To my earlier post. I am fortunate to have a very nice shop, a man-cave if you will. Nice and warm, private wash room and nice views out the windows. If my shop were less comfortable I might be less inclined to spent as much time there.

Bret

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.