Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a bit a go I built a 24 gun vertical gun rack (only about 1.5ft deep, 3ft long and 30" high), nothing fancy just some scrap odds and ends of lumber. all differant specie's types, some treated some not, etc. any way, I put 2 drawers under it which isn't enough space for my ammo, so I built just a small book shelf to hold the ammo. turned out nice, made a groove to slide the shelves in, glued it, clamped it, checked for square, all was good. closed up shop and went to bed. when I opened the garage door out came our orange cat. looked in and the shelf was on the floor rather than the desk....now I have a un-square ammo shelve.....:furious: took a bit to get the ammo rack to match the furniture. but came close.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,946 Posts
too much weight

That gun rack is seriously overloaded. :yes: You might consider another layer of plywood above and below the drawers. You may not need to completely start over that way. The center partition carries a lot of the weight downward. This will correct the "sag", it's not really crooked. :no: I think I see small casters on the supports...right? Probably too small for the amount of weight.

The shelf seems about right in the width, but the shelves should be dadoed in and it needs a back nailed on IF it doesn't have one. Ammo is lead, and very heavy, so you can't over build for it....

·
John
3,028 Posts
I agree with woodnthings. For that much weight, I think it really needs to be wider, deeper and shorter. That's for the ammo storage. The gun rack looks pretty overloaded too but at least has a wide enough base to be stable. Casters are to small or to few

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, for the info, this was just a quick build to find a way to store a lot in a small space. yes that's an exterior window, but our house is 12ft off the ground. I thought 1" plywood (2 1/2 pieces glued and screwed) was going to be enough to hold the weight on the gun cabinet. the ammo shelf is only 2ft tall and 9" wide, looks bigger in the pic. the gun rack plans didn't originaly call for that wide of the a base, but I wanted something stable. I was able to find some 2x6x8 beech for 1.50 a board (a board not a board foot) from a recycle center, so after I get done with the hope/blancket chest, I'm gonna try the gun rack again. I realized very quickly that I'm not a felt expert...:thumbdown: this time I'm hoping it will be stain able. with the other lumber, some oak, some treated, etc. staining wasn't an option. didn't have a planer the either.

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
I'm freaking awesome at building crooked shelves. In fact, most of my shelves are crooked. I'm not nearly as good at building straight, level shelves. Those are hard. I can make maybe one straight shelf a day, but I can give you a hundred crooked ones in like 30 minutes.

All joking aside, I believe those shelves are just overloaded. That's 24 guns you have there. Average gun is, what?, 6 or 7 pounds? You've also got slings, scopes, and a few mags on there too. That's a good 150 pounds or more on that thing. That's like a grown man standing on it, or most of a grown man depending on just how "grown" said man is. I think with some bracing, you'll be ok though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the beech wood I got has gotta be aged well, it had square nails in it...lol, would the 2x6 beech be enough to hold the weight? I'll definitely get some bigger casters and add a set in the middle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts