Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I just thought the release lever had come loose...
Broken clamp 1.jpg

That was not the case.
Broken clamp 2.jpg

Is this a common thing to happen over time? I've had the clamps for a few years and I probably put more pressure on them then I should, but has anyone else experienced this??

Please don't turn this into a thread about how cheap stuff made overseas is garbage, and that Irwin doesn't make a good clamp anymore. I've read plenty of those, I was just curious if this has happened to others, and if so, what type of "quick grip" clamp would you replace it with?

Sean

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Never had that happen. I'd agree that I think you're putting way too much pressure on those puppies, that's not what they're made for.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I've only had 1 Irwin failure, not common

That's either the result of allowing a Gorilla to help you clamp up or a Manufacturer's defect... :yes: It will be easy to get another at any store, if accompanied by the afore mentened Gorilla or a recent purchase receipt. :laughing:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have broke more than my share of quick clamps. They are only made to hold so much and I am sure my gorillaing them broke them.

They are not made to really be wrenching on them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely don't have a receipt anymore... I'll see if I can locate the gorilla hahaha

I'm pretty sure these would have come from Lowe's, but do you think they would actually take this and give me a new one?

I'm wondering if sending this directly to Irwin would yield better results?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I break one or two of these a year just like that. These are meant for "light" clamping, but I need to get that extra pressure sometimes . The medium duty Irwin clamps are much better and I have yet to break one, but they cost almost twice as much.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When you shake hands with someone, do they drop to their knees and grimace with pain?:laughing:

I don't think I'm strong enough to break a clamp like that but I'm not surprised it was an Irwin that broke. They are my least favorite brand of clamps.

Bret

·
7,222 Posts
Most of my quick clamps are before the company was purchased by Irwin. Mine are the black plastic. Most are 15+ years old.

I have put a lot of pressure on these over the years. Sometimes the clutch slipped a little. So far no breakage.

I two have two Irwin badged Quick clamps, a beefier design, thicker bar, etc. The jaws seem to be designed to flex a little when clamped.

I do not use my Quick clamps often these days.

I think you may have a bad clamp.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a big guy by any means, and honestly I have the forearms of a little girl so I highly doubt that is the issue haha.

I have several sets of these and this is the first one I've ever had break on me. I always read negative feedback about these clamps, but they have held up very well for me... until now.

I will try sending an email to Irwin to see what kind of product support they offer for something like this. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back from them.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
How big are your forearms?
That's a pretty personal question isn't it?! :laughing:

I'm guessing at home he goes by "Popeye" though, rather than CaptainAwesome. :laughing:

I will say, though, that I call those "one handed clamps" for a reason. If you're squeezing with two hands, it's way too much pressure. (Not saying you're doing that, Captain, just sayin' "in general").

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like my Craftsman quick clamps seen here better than my Irwins, as they apply more pressure and can be used as spreaders, but I've been using them less as I got more bar clamps and hand screws.
I actually have 4 of those same clamps in the 12" and that is what I swapped in place of the irwin after it broke! The only reason I wasn't using it originally is because the head on it is so big it wouldn't really fit into the tight space under my glue up.

Those clamps do have great clamping pressure I just wish they weren't so clunky...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I think it's pretty typical for those to fail from time to time. I don't think it's realistic for the retailer to be held accountable for a few year old product that isn't their private label. I it was a craftsman one if say take it back, but I think Irwin's your best bet here

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a pretty personal question isn't it?! :laughing:
HAHAHAHA!!! If my forearms are bigger than most, I SWEAR it is from all of the clamping I do, and not any other "extra curricular activities" that might take place!

I was trying to duck the whole "size of your forearm" reference because I figured someone would make a possibly inappropriate comment... turns out I may have just made that comment haha.

I'm guessing at home he goes by "Popeye" though, rather than CaptainAwesome. :laughing:

I may call myself CaptainAwesome (extremely sarcastically of course), but I would settle for Popeye seeing as how it's better than the nickname of "Caveman" that my wife gave me!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it's pretty typical for those to fail from time to time. I don't think it's realistic for the retailer to be held accountable for a few year old product that isn't their private label. I it was a craftsman one if say take it back, but I think Irwin's your best bet here
That was my consensus as well. I sent them an email, and included a link to this thread....

Did I mention that I LOVE IRWIN PRODUCTS!?!?!?!?!?! hahaha

1 - 20 of 36 Posts