Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting started on the wfc easel and I got a bunch of red cedar on hand with no real use for it. I was gonna just use that but didn't really think cedar is the best color for the project. I have some transtint dark walnut on hand, and thought I could darken it with that. Just curious has anyone else ever dyed red cedar and how dis it work out.

·
Registered
27,747 Posts
I don't think cedar is a very strong wood to use for an easel however there is no reason you can't dye or stain the wood. It should take the color very well. If you have the means of spraying I think I would stain the white part of the wood red to match the rest of it so it is a more uniform color and then use the walnut stain.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thank you for your reply I'm going to try it out. Though cedar is a soft wood, I don t see ot not being strong enough. It's not a load bearing project really. I have used a cedar quite a bit, and feel quite confident that it will be fine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just sprayed the cedar with transtint dark walnut. This stuff is truely amazing. Anyone that hasn't used it needs to give it a shot. I usually like to leave wood natural, but occasionally you need to change the color. I remeber how frustrating most all wood stain is. The dye ia so much simpler and the results are 100 times better. Here ia what she looks like with the dye.

Metal Gas

Art Printmaking Table Glass

I can honestly say that I will probably never use a wood stain again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts