Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I bought a sheet if MDF for my router table top, my new radial arm saw top, and a table saw extension....

So it's hard to cut sheet goods in my shop to begin with...on a normal 4x8 sheet I only have a few inches to spare....the MDF is 49x97 so I have even less room. Anyhow....I measure around the shop...get saw moved to exactly where it needs to be and from behind the saw change the blade. I plug the saw in, hoist the sheet up and run the sheet through the saw. Now I've never seen MDF cut so rough....rather than fine dust I get chips that are 5 or 6 times that they ought to be. But the cut is straight and so I move the fence and run the next piece through. Shut off everything and notice the blade looks weird.......it's on backwards. I put it on from behind the saw and it didn't even phase me.

I decided right then and there tonight wasn't a good night to use powertools.....

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Did the same thing with a band saw blade they don't stay sharp when done that way. Turn out the light shut the door and come back for a better day.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
That's funny. I once drilled a hole in a concrete wall. Took forever, so the bit is old and a bit rusty, I am struggling, and pounding some, and the drill is a bit underpowered: But it probably would have gone faster if the drill was in the forward mode... Subsequent holes were much quicker!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had a similar post a couple of years ago. I had been sanding on my lathe. I went to turn something else. The tool would not cut. I sharpened it and it still would not cut and I sharpened it again with no results. The lathe was spinning in the reverse direction form my last sanding.
Tom

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You would have to know my shop to fully understand how this could happen.

I wanted to do some scroll sawing so I got everything in place, stepped on the switch and nothing happened. I could hear the motor running, but it didn't sound right, so I took the saw completely apart and replaced the brushes in the motor.

As I was putting it back in place and plugging it into the foot switch I noticed that I had my Dremel plugged into the foot switch the whole time, not the scroll saw! Which pretty much explained why the motor sounded funny...

Life is full of stupid...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just the other day, I used the wrong size drill bit for a pilot hole for a vise I was mounting. I actually used the size of the lag bolt. Luckily, I only drilled one of the five holes incorrectly.

Another thing I did relates to your cutting full sheet of laminate thread. I ordered a of 36” x 12’ sheet of Formica for several projects. I did not want to try to cut the full sheet on the table saw, so I used some shears to cut it. In the summer this worked no problem. When I cut this sheet, the weather was much cooler, and Formica split a little bit. Not a big deal I thought…. Then I tried to roll the Formica back up to put the remainder back into the box it came in. In the process the Formica split about two feet more which ultimately made it too small for one of my projects.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just yesterday I was gluing up a cutting board with 4 laminated curved strips in the middle of it and got all done applying the glue, getting all 15 clamps tightened and everything lined up, and then..................................CRAP! I put glue on the insides of the laminated strips but I forgot to put any on the outsides of them to make them stick to the cutting board.

There are many more of course, this is just the most recent.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Have I ever done anything dumb? Nope. Never. And you can't prove I did... unless you read through my threads...then maybe you could prove it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quite honestly I was a bit amazed that it even cut at all....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
We have been a Stihl dealer for years and you would not believe the number of complaints I have solved by turning the chain around or deactivating the blade brake.

·
7,222 Posts
We have been a Stihl dealer for years and you would not believe the number of complaints I have solved by turning the chain around or deactivating the blade brake.
I purchased an almost new Stihl electric chainsaw from Craigs list last year. On first use it did not seem to want to cut. My friend asked is the chain was on correct. Sure enough it was on backwards. Made me wonder if this was why someone sold this in the first place. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny thing just last night. My wife had asked me to hang a picture a couple days ago but I have been pretty busy. She got fed up and decided to do it herself. I thought it would be interesting to watch. She manage to drive a huge nail into the dry wall using a hatchet. I had to stop her when for some reason she was walking in the house with my 4ft wrecking bar. I did not even want to ask what her plan was with that. A couple years ago I built an apartment from the framing. I had just ran all the eletrical wiring and was turning things on testing them out and making sure all of my points where covered. I had a tape measure in my hands extended a couple feet when some one asked me where something was. I motioned in the general direction with the tape measure. The metal tip must have hit the only uncovered wire in the entire place. A pop and some sparks and everything went dark. By the time I got the lights back on and fixed the uncovered wire I looked at the tape measure. it was completely destroyed and I was very lucky to walk away unscathed.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
I won't elaborate on details. Suffice it to say the question before me was "Do you wish to override the interlocks?".
TonyM

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just love people that admit to doing stupid things. I have friends that do not make mistakes, but they do not do anything!

I bought a broken router at an online auction. Would not turn on, some ignorant idiot had the shaft locked so it would not come on, how dumb can you get! Morons! Unlock shaft router works, me and Einstein:yes:

Of course I bid on the wrong lot:laughing: I was the only bidder, what kind of half witted nicompoop bids on a broken router:eek:
JIm

·
amateur
235 Posts
Anyone ever done something really dumb??

Yeah, not once, but twice I asked two different women named Sheri to marry me. Fortunately that did not come to pass and I moved far up in the alphabet and married my wonderful wife Dorothy.:laughing:

Greg

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Yes but that was in the back seat of a 1957 Plymouth.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts