Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a habitat for humanity build in two weeks and was wondering from people who had done one before if they are ok if you bring your own tools and if they let you use framing nailers or do they nail it all by hand?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My experience: they have tools, particularly power tools. Bring a tool belt with hammer, small square, gloves, box cutter, small things of that sort. They assign jobs by experience, so who knows what you'll be doing.

Blue

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's been several years since I've done one but they were definetly glad I brought my own hand tools. If I remember correctly they did not let the typical volunteers use power tools.

At least on the build I worked on most of the serious work was done Monday thru Friday with a proven crew. Most of them were retired and very good craftsmen/builders. The volunteers from schools and churches that were bused in on Saturday painted, cleaned up landscaped etc. Also a lot of the major trades, electrical, HVAC, roofing, etc were contracted.

I was able to work during the week so I got to work with the proven crew. Do the same if you can. I had a blast and learned a lot from them.

Have fun!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's been several years since I've done one but they were definetly glad I brought my own hand tools. If I remember correctly they did not let the typical volunteers use power tools.

At least on the build I worked on most of the serious work was done Monday thru Friday with a proven crew. Most of them were retired and very good craftsmen/builders. The volunteers from schools and churches that were bused in on Saturday painted, cleaned up landscaped etc. Also a lot of the major trades, electrical, HVAC, roofing, etc were contracted.

I was able to work during the week so I got to work with the proven crew. Do the same if you can. I had a blast and learned a lot from them.

Have fun!
I am defidently bringing my own framing rig and handtools. The guy I talked to on the phone was realy happy when I told him I know all about framing and genral construction. He wanted me saterday monday and tuseday.

I am going to be kind of mad if they want me to do painting because thats what I do at work 90 percent of the time and I like carpentry much better

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
From 2001 thru 2005 I did several. We had a licensed contractor and everyone else was a volunteer. We only worked 2 days a week. They did provide most of the tools. There was no problem with bringing your own tools. And yes we did use power nailers and hammers.
Tom

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From 2001 thru 2005 I did several. We had a licensed contractor and everyone else was a volunteer. We only worked 2 days a week. They did provide most of the tools. There was no problem with bringing your own tools. And yes we did use power nailers and hammers.
Tom
Thats good I wasent sure if for "safty reasonds" we were going to have to hand nail everything even the sheathing which would get old real quick

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am defidently bringing my own framing rig and handtools. The guy I talked to on the phone was realy happy when I told him I know all about framing and genral construction. He wanted me saterday monday and tuseday.

I am going to be kind of mad if they want me to do painting because thats what I do at work 90 percent of the time and I like carpentry much better
Most likely once they figure out you know what you are doing, and I'm sure that won't take long, I'd bet they let you run a crew of novice volunteers on Saturday. On Monday and Tuesday you will get to put the hammer in your hand.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Haven't worked for HFH but did come out of retirement and help build a community medical center ( two storey, thirteen thousand square feet) Started at the surveying stage and finished two years later, did all and everything, if you have the time it is one of the best experiences you can have, learnt so much and am able to put that learning into my own property

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most likely once they figure out you know what you are doing, and I'm sure that won't take long, I'd bet they let you run a crew of novice volunteers on Saturday. On Monday and Tuesday you will get to put the hammer in your hand.
I think I would enjoy running a crew only thing that would piss me off is the guys that only grab 1 2X4 at a time when theres a big pile of them to move

·
Banned
310 Posts
When you work with volunteers you get the best out of them tat you can, everyone has strengths and weaknesses and twenty volunteers carrying one two bye is the same as five volunteers carrying four, maybe you are not as suitable as you believe for running a crew in HFH

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you work with volunteers you get the best out of them tat you can, everyone has strengths and weaknesses and twenty volunteers carrying one two bye is the same as five volunteers carrying four, maybe you are not as suitable as you believe for running a crew in HFH
No trust me i comptly understand that you get what you get with volunteers. Its not like I would ever even think to say anything about it.

·
Banned
310 Posts
On the same theme, most of our volunteers where retirees, mostly DYI people, just about all had their own tools. One retired construction owner supplied power tools and some equipment, the rest was rented at a very good rate. Learning about new construction methods, earthquake requirements, shear walls etc. was a real eye opener. Once again anyone gets a chance to work on a HFH etc. and can spare the time it is well worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If they will allow it, definitely bring your own tools. I only volunteered with them once and I didn't know enough to bring my own. All the tools they had were very old, worn, bent, dull, chipped, etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went there today and it was great. First half the day we preped and cleaned for the event tommorow and

second half of the day we went to the warehouse and worked on the walls. They had me on the saw cutting plates and it was great. I worked with 10 other people who all knew what they were doing and were realy nice and fun to work with.

I am glad I brought my own tools and belt because there handtools wernt great but their powertools were realy nice.

I enjoyed it so much I am going back 3 days nexk week

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I learned alot today at habbitat mostly how to layout a house of stud locations on the plates.

Anyone that gets the chance to work with habbitat for humanity should.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts